What's new

17 year-old...What camera should I buy?

v1c70r

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
51
Reaction score
2
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Folks, thanks for checking out my thread and maybe giving me some help. Basically, I have narrowed it down to a couple choices

EOS Rebel T2i with EF-S 18-55IS Refurbished-$540ish
or

EOS 50D with EF 28-135IS Refurbished-$690ish

To give you a bit of background, I just got into photography a few weeks ago. I decided to borrow a D90 from my school for the weekend and really enjoyed myself. My future goal is to become a director/screenwriter, and I feel like photography will certainly help me in that goal.

I like to shoot landscapes, architecture, action and nature.(A large variety!)


Which one do you think would be a better fit. I have pretty good sized hands btw!
 
Do you have a desire for a camera with video capabilities since you are going to be a director/screenwriter?
 
I think I would enjoy the video capabilities, but I am not sure how "good" the T2i's video capability is.

Also, I actually have a Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder.
 
Last edited:
Ordinarily I would recommend the 50D but if you're into video that won't work. If you liked the D90 you could get one of those refurbished right now for about the same money as what you're looking at.
 
The 50D does not shoot video but, in my opinion, takes better photos than the Rebel.
 
I'd choose the 50d of the T2i. Better build quality.
 
+ 1 for the 50D if you don't want video.
 
The 50D probably better for bigger hands and you mentioned you like taking action shots(6 shots/sec burst etc) . Realistically the 3.5 ish that the rebel shoots is probably loads for most situations. I bought a Canon 50D about a year ago and although its great, I used a friends Nikon 90D which I prefered, but I have commited to Canon now with few lenses.
 
If it was just the body, I'd go for the 50D in a heartbeat, but bear in mind that a 28mm lens isn't very wide on an APSC crop body. You'll be missing the 18-28mm range in certain situations, probably more than the additional range of the 28-135 over 18-55.

And when it comes to video, you mention that you've got the Sony camcorder. I don't know the spec, but it probably uses a tiny 1/3" or something sensor. Shooting video with a large sensor DSLR will be probably a whole new experience because of the shallow depth of field. You really should consider that.

So while the 50D is a superior body when it comes to photography, the T2i package might actually suit you better. And remember that the T2i itself isn't that bad anyway, with pretty good high ISO performance and all the buttons you need right on the body.
 
Thanks for your input guys, It's still a very tough decisison. Do you think I should consider waiting for the D5100 Kit? It's $900, but it might be a better fit than these two? Again, I am a begginer so any input is appreciated.

I am still looking at the T2i or 50d.

I like the T2i's video, but I'm afraid I will give up photo quality for this feature.
 
I like the T2i's video, but I'm afraid I will give up photo quality for this feature.
I don't think you will. The T2i although a part of the entry Rebel series, is a newer camera than the 50D, and from what I've seen the image quality is pretty close. The 50D is mostly about built quality and ergonomics. Both are important, but have no influence on image quality.
 
Image quality between the 50D and the T2i should be pretty close. The main advantages the 50D has are in the controls. Adjusting settings on the 50D will be a lot quicker/easier due to dedicated controls where the T2i is more menu based. Also, the 50D offers the ability to micro adjust your lenses. What that means is that you can fine tune each lens to that body so that focusing is more consistently accurate. The T2i (or even the new 60D) can't do that. I have a T1i and those are my two most missed features.
 
I have both cameras, and they're both impressive. I mainly bought the T2i for video though. Let me ask this, what are you planning to use the camera for? Are we talking mainly outside in the middle of the day? If so, I'd actually like to throw in some less expensive alternatives for you since you're just getting started.
 
You guys have given me a lot to think about, which I appreciate.

To answer a few questions, I really am interested in shooting almost everything. I want to get my feet wet in every type of photography.:D But feel free to suggest any other cameras you think might work out for me.

I definately like the idea of having a better built and mroe professional camera, but the T2i seems like it might be a better package for me.

Should I consider the Nikon D5100 or perhaps any other cameras?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom