18-105 worth it?

AJK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After much deliberation and saving I've decided to become one of the 5 zillion new owners of a D90. I've read a good deal of reviews and am quite skeptical of the new (18-105 VR) in between zoom. Sold together the package is around $1250-1300 USD. I know I'm better off going with the 18-200 VR, but haven't seen any deals on that combination. Ultimately, I'll probably go with the 18-200 as my walking around lens unless someone can convince me otherwise. Most of my shooting is outdoor nature/landscape or city. Does anyone know if there is a combo DEAL from somewhere REPUTABLE on the interwebs?
Also I'm not sure about warrantee/ grey market situation as I'm from the USA but will be living abroad for at least the next 2 years, most likely returning after that. Anyone have information or experience?
My dad happens to be a pro who has a bunch of extra primes and 10.5mm f/2.8 G laying around for me to play with:D Lucky me!! so one or 2 sharp lenses are all I think I need to budget for. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

adam

i just got the d90, i stepped up from the d40 and i think the 18-105 is much better then the 18-55 but i dont really have much to compare it to. i do like it though. id rather have the 16-85.

Just at a local (and pretty good) camera shop. General consensus is that the 18-105 is OK but not great. Plastic mount - a 'consumer' lens.

The 16-85 is MUCH preferred. No personal experience with the 18-105 but I was quite happy with the 16-85 on my last trip.

The 18-55 is a good value for the money but also a 'consumer' lens. I've used it with a D50 as a small and light 'carry' set-up. Came with the D40 (mistake - really missed the ability to use plain old AF lenses).

Most reactions

Back