18-200 test

I have to agree here saying a $700 lens is just as shrp as a sub $200 lens is not a big selling point for the $700 lens.

It is if that sub $200 lens we are comparing it to is known as being one of the top sharp primes Nikon has and comparisons come off not too shabby for a zoom of incredible versatility and VR to boot. (lol)

Yes, the 18-200 lens can take nice pics under well prepared circumstances, but it does have it's limitations. Sharpness above 150 drops and the lens vignettes as well as it not being as sensitive as I could want in low light situations without a flash. I really like it (I always say it is the ultimate walk-around lens), but I love having the ability to go to a higher quality lens if the situation demands it (Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM and the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 ED VR).

I have both the 50mm and the 18-200. Each has it's place mounted to my camera on a regular basis. :)

Before I shattered my leg in about 6 pieces 2 years ago (an issue I am still dealing with) I did hike qnd backpack quite exyensively. I would go on multi night trips albeit not as exotic as the one you named and every one of them I carried my Nikon N70 with whatever lens I had and I also would carry my Bronica ETRsi with a tripod to carry it and never suffered for it good images were just important to me and I did not care about the extra weight.
I probably think along the same lines as you do, JIP. I don't mind carrying extra stuff if my enjoyment or the usefulness of the item ought weighs the burden of carrying/using them.

Will carrying extra lenses make my photography much more rewarding? For me, YES. Its on my list to pack. PERIOD. But for some the answer may be that it would hinder their enjoyment of hiking/riding/site seeing too much.

Hell, I won't go backpacking or camping at all with out on of my comfortable folding camp chairs. Some people think I'm crazy or even call me stupid, for carrying an extra 5 pound around the forest. 5 Pounds? Hell I don't know what it weighs, but It does not make a difference, I'm not sitting on a log with no back support after walking around some rough mountains all day.

The weight of the chair does not bother me, because when I sit down to relax and eat some freeze dried, or irradiated...food?, I'm comfortable.
And when I get home and view some very nice photos, I'm Happy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back