18-55?

Karla_atx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i believe the lens that came with my XTI is 18-55mm so i was wondering what would be the best lens to buy im not looking to spend big money for it since im still very new to photography .

Another question im having a hard time understanding the AV mode , i read somewhere that my lens isnt so good for that mode is this true?

Do are you intrested in any particular type of photography?

Do you have a budget?

A longer range telephoto is always a handy addition to your kitbag, for example a cheap 55-200mm lens or 70-200/70-300 (like THIS or THIS. You could also get other brand lenses like Sigma or Tamron that are cheaper at the cost of a tiny loss of quality [like THIS or THIS in a Canon fit]). This will allow you to shoot most wildlife or sports, or just for general times when you need that little extra bit of reach. It's also worth getting the very cheap 50mm F/1.8 lens. This kind of lens is perfect for portraits and places where you need a VERY shallow depth of field (explained later).

The person who told you the 18-55 kit lens is bad for AV (or Aperture Priority mode) is wrong, but the lens could be better. Your lens always comes with an "F-number" after the lens length, which can range from F/1.2 to F/6.3, or a range of these numbers (e.g. F/2-4) I think your lens is F/3.5-5.6.

This number is the aperture of your lens, and it performs 3 functions:

It allows light to pass through your camera onto your sensor
Basically, an aperture is a hole in your lens :D

(now for the important parts)

It is variable and can regulate the shutter speed
What this means is that depending on camera settings, the hole can get larger or smaller, regulating the amount of light getting let in. A larger aperture (or SMALLER f-number) lets more light in, whereas a smaller aperture (or a LARGER f-number) lets less light in. This means that a larger aperture needs a faster shutter speed to create a "proper" exposure and vice versa for smaller apertures.

It also regulates the Depth Of Field (DOF)
The depth of field is how much of your photograph is in focus, and how much a subject "pops out" in a photo. A larger aperture (smaller f-no.) gives a more shallow depth of field suitable for portraits, whereas a smaller aperture (remember? ;)) gives a larger depth of field suitable for landscape photos etc.

As with most things in photography, aperture settings are a compromise. If you're shooting sports, you'll need to sacrifice depth of field in order to get a faster shutter speed, and if you're shooting something where you want everything to be in focus, you'll need to sacrifice shutter speed. Also, while we're on the subject of compromises, a lens doesn't perform at its best at very large or small apertures (e.g. F/5.6 or F/22); it performs best (and the photos are sharpest) in mid-range apertures like F/7-F/16. However, this shouldn't worry you too much, as it only makes a small difference on your kit (no offence :))

Now, as to why that guy said your lens is bad for aperture priority. Your lens has a rather small maximum aperture compared to some of the professional lenses (like this one [Yeah, yeah, it's 17-55, whatever :greenpbl:]). At 55mm, your lens has a maximum aperture of F/5.6, whereas a pro 18-55 lens would have a maximum aperture of F/2.8. This, of course, means that the pro lens would be able to make a subject "stand out" more than your 18-55 could. However, your 18-55 can still give a rather shallow DOF, so you really shouldn't worry; your 18-55 is just fine for aperture priority mode.

Well, I think that's apertures covered. If you've got any more questions, I'll try to reply as soon as possible (or another person might). Bye! :D

~TamiyaGuy

i believe the lens that came with my XTI is 18-55mm so i was wondering what would be the best lens to buy im not looking to spend big money for it since im still very new to photography .

Another question im having a hard time understanding the AV mode , i read somewhere that my lens isnt so good for that mode is this true?

I'd think that rather than spend money at this point it's time to do a few things.

First, get out and take some pictures.

Second, read about AV mode, then get out and learn about it by taking pictures.

Third, get out and take some pictures and learn if you need to get closer (longer) or further (a wider angle) from your subject. How does the 18-55 fall short for you?

Read and practice with what you have, the answers will come much easier, and cheaper.

or you can always buy a decent flash as well. Flash photography has made my otherwise less useful(don't want to say useless) in night lenses very useful.

Well, I think that's apertures covered. If you've got any more questions, I'll try to reply as soon as possible (or another person might). Bye! :D

~TamiyaGuy

wow thank you so much this was very helpfull :hail:

I live in the country, and so naturally I like to take a lot of photos of animals Not wildlife, they're to hard to get. But stuff like cows, buffalo, horses, etc. For this, I totally recommend a 75-300 (or something similar). If not that, a 55-200 would rock also. Either way, you'll be able to go AT&T (reach out and touch something) when you can't get close to the action. I agree that the 50mm fixed would also be a great purchase, but if you do the sort of stuff I do, I would say the telephoto zoom will get used more. If you're more about taking shots indoors with your family and friends (or any people anywhere for that matter), than go with the 50mm...

But you're really at a great spot. I mean, both of these are so awesome, you'll feel like you got a new camera when you get either. It's really a win, win situation.

BTW, look at some old canon film lenses (make sure they're not really old, but only like 15 years old or newer). They may be bigger and heavier, but a lot of time they'll have metal rings where they lock on to the body (a lot of the new ones are plastic), and they are easier on the pocketbook when you aren't buying them new. Heck, someone GAVE me a 100-300 zoom lens, so you can definitely get good deals (maybe so good you can get BOTH lenses...HA!)

Most reactions

Back