18-55IS worth an upgrade?

cactus waltz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently acquired a Digital Rebel XTi (great camera!) with the kit lens and the 50mm 1,8.

I have concidered upgrading the kit lens to the newer version that has IS. Would it be worth it, or should I just hang around and save up for something that is of higher quality?

I would save up for a higher quality and larger focal range.
-always keep f/stop in mind

How much does that new lens cost? It's probably a better lens but that doesn't mean it's worth it.

Have a look at the EF-S 17-85mm IS.

I think it is like $185 at Adorama or Beach... It is crazy cheap and would be good if you can sell the non-IS for 80 and it was only $100 for the upgrade.

But you have to think, on a lens of that range, 18-55, do you really need IS? Unless you have really shaky hands its not really a huge lens, and you have the 50 mm for lower light, so id say go with mikes suggestion.

But you have to think, on a lens of that range, 18-55, do you really need IS? Unless you have really shaky hands its not really a huge lens, and you have the 50 mm for lower light, so id say go with mikes suggestion.

Well, it's also supposed to be plenty sharper than the original kit lens. So all in all, if I could sell the current kit lens and upgrade it might be worth it. On the other hand, yes, that could be a 100 dollars put into something even better.

I have the 24-105L and I think the IS isn't needed on such a range. Better to have that piece of string under your foot and attached to your camera that someone else posted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back