18-55mm lens

awe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
I started learning about photography about a year ago with a nice fixed-lens camera with manual controls (Canon A640). The camera is good and it's taught me a lot about aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, but there is one variable missing: the lens. So I finally decided to buy a DSLR (Canon EOS 400D). I'd like to buy one of the various kits that my shop offers, but since I have no idea about lenses, I need your advice: there's one kit with a 18-55mm lens. I have no idea (yet) what that means, but all I'd like to know is whether I can use this lens as an "all-purpose" lens to get me started. I know that I will have to buy additional lenses sooner or later (after all, that's the whole point of buying a DSLR), but I want to start with one lens only. So, what do you guys think?

Alex

It isn't an especially good lens but it may well meet your needs. If the price is right, go for it.

The kit lens a perfect for starting off. It takes great photos and isnt nearly as bad as alot of places say. Its got a bit of the wide end and a bit of the zoom. A great way to learn the new camera and see which way you tend to swing. From there you can look into zooms, UWAs, or primes, but def. consider the kit if your making the jump from PnS to DSLR.

Compared to quality glass, the kit lens is poo. but, compared to a compact camera...it's awesome.

It's a fine general purpose lens, and I have actually just started using it a bit more, when I can. It's not too bad as long as you don't wanna take pics inside without flash.

18-55 is basically the "zoom amount"
18 is a wide angle...55 is approximately a normal lens. Now, on a digital sensor that translates into a bit longer...but it's ok, you don't need to know that yet.

Just know that smaller numbers are wide angle, and longer numbers are telephoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back