$1800 towards new camera - not sure what one to get?

pacificnorthwest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So a few months ago I sold my Nikon D3100. I really liked it but I needed the money at the time. Anyways, since then i've really wanted to get back into photography. I have saved $1800 that I want to put towards a new camera (body, lenses, etc.). I've narrowed it down but i'm having trouble deciding. Just to give you guys a few things about my style... I mostly shoot urban/nature and I want to get into video production as well. Not sure if any of that is a deciding factor but thought I'd throw it out there. The three cameras I'm deciding between are the Canon 60D, Canon 7d, and Canon 5D Mark II refurbished.

Prices -

Canon 60D - $978.00 with kit lens ($750 Body only)

Canon 7D - $1500 with kit lens ($1250 Body Only)

Canon 5D Mark II Refurbished - $1500 Body Only

I really cannot decide. Part of me wants to just get the 60D and spend the rest on lenses, etc. But another part of me wants to get the Mark II because it is just an amazing camera and settle with just a basic lens for now. But then another part of me wants to meet in the middle at the 7D...

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

All help is appreciated! Thank you :)

I recommend the 5DII, I have seen them sell for between $1100-1300 on the used market and would be your best deal.

Also, welcome to the forum. :D

Full Frame vs Crop Sensor camera ?

Full frame wins for me, go with the 5D II

Id say go 5d mark ii if you have any full frame lens. Otherwise Id say go with the 7d.

I would never recommend spending more money on a camera unless you have control over light, exposure, composition and post processing and unless your images or work demand it. If you can't make great images with an entry-level DSLR, anything more will be a waste of money. I could get better images with a D3100 than any amateur could with a $10,000 DSLR. Get the cheapest one that has video. That's $500 in your pocket.

5d ii if you're going to do heavy video.

There's a lot of factors here, but I tend to agree with the general logic of spending less on a body and more on glass if you are on a limited budget. If you are hard limited at $1800 and you spend $1500 on a body, what lens options will that leave you with?

Doesn't make much sense to be spending that kind of money in a camera and buying a kit lens...

There's a lot of factors here, but I tend to agree with the general logic of spending less on a body and more on glass if you are on a limited budget. If you are hard limited at $1800 and you spend $1500 on a body, what lens options will that leave you with?

Could start out with a serious prime.

Nikon
bigthumb.gif

Oh - definitely. Could luck out on a used 50 or 85 or go full manual with one of the new Rokinon offerings, etc.. But - really - you're looking at one lens and it's a question of whether that will suit his needs. Definitely worth considering (personally speaking, yeah, I'd take my 5D and just one prime over most other options).

I recommend the 5DII, I have seen them sell for between $1100-1300 on the used market and would be your best deal.

Also, welcome to the forum. :D

Full Frame vs Crop Sensor camera ?

Full frame wins for me, go with the 5D II

Id say go 5d mark ii if you have any full frame lens. Otherwise Id say go with the 7d.

I really would love to get the 5d mark ii. One of my concerns is doesn't this camera not have a built in flash? Which would require me to carry around an external flash and i'm not sure that's something i'd want to always have to do. Thanks guys :)

Doesn't make much sense to be spending that kind of money in a camera and buying a kit lens...

This was also one of my concerns. I mean what good is a mark ii with a cheap, low quality lens? Not very good. But, I could spend the money and get the mark ii and just a basic zoom 18-135 and then a 50mm 1.8 for around $500ish. This would meet my price range. Then later down the road get some more quality glass once I have the money saved.

My advice is not to buy a camera.

If you're in a part of your life where you have to sell off things to pay bills or whatever, and your recent choice was to sell off the camera... then to me this says the camera is the more expendable and/or too expensive item, and you shouldn't repeat the process.

I really would love to get the 5d mark ii. One of my concerns is doesn't this camera not have a built in flash? Which would require me to carry around an external flash and i'm not sure that's something i'd want to always have to do. Thanks guys :)

Also don't see much sense in buying mark ii and relying on the built in flash.

Sounds to me like you should buy a T4i/T5i with some really expensive glass.

Most reactions

Back