What's new

1st attempt at track and field shooting. suggestions???

Unicycle1348

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
New England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
a few from yesterday's track meet.

se6ck3.jpg


21jqipl.jpg
 
I don't like the selective coloring in pic 1, but that just me. Number two is slightly under expose but I guess it would be difficult not to blow out the sky if you were to expose the high jumper correctly.
 
I don't like the selective coloring in pic 1, but that just me. Number two is slightly under expose but I guess it would be difficult not to blow out the sky if you were to expose the high jumper correctly.

Its not just you. Selective coloring's purpose is to accentuate the subject in a photo that would be lost otherwise... The selective coloring in this photo is accentuating the clothing... I don't think the clothing is supposed to be the subject. As a viewer, I want to focus on the jumper, but I'm distracted by the coloring... its a confusing shot.

As for the second shot, you're right, it would be nearly impossible to correct the underexposure by messing with the exposure. A little fill flash however, could help fix that.
 
A little fill flash however, could help fix that.

I'm a lousy flash user (indoor and outdoor). How would you point the flash in this scenario to do the fill?
 
... A little fill flash however, could help fix that.

That's what I thought. Best would be to use an off-camera flash, placed right under the bar in the center. It shouldn't destract the athletes as they are "facing" the flash with their back.

Something to consider...

In general of course you want to freeze the action and therefore use faster shutter speeds. You did well in this regard. Focus looks fine. It's just the proper exposure of the subject.
 
A little fill flash however, could help fix that.

I'm a lousy flash user (indoor and outdoor). How would you point the flash in this scenario to do the fill?

There really isn't much of an option... there's nothing really to bounce off off. Fire it right at him.

I also suppose the use of some reflectors would have helped the shot out considerably... but considering the event, I doubt the last thing anyone would have wanted was a photography horsing around with that while people were trying to compete.
 
To correct the problematic situation you experienced on the second photo, I would move your camera position and not shoot right into the sun...move around and shoot from the mid-point of the runway, as the vaulters clear the bar and push the pole away from the bar, and then milliseconds later, shoot photos as they are free-falling back to the landing pads. That way, the subjects will be front-lighted by the overhead sunlight that is hitting them, and you're not looking up at them. Flash use on the jumps and vaults is typically considered a no-no.
 
thanks for the information guys. i will definatly take this advice and use it on friday.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom