1st Birthday, need tips

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter's 1st birthday is coming up (18th of Dec.)

I need some tips/advise on "must get" shots, stuff like that. I've never done this before, lol. I know I need one of her with cake all over her hands/face - what else? I'm sure I'll be snapping away, but I want to take some good pictures too (lol).

My Niece on her first birthday (three years ago).
951-IMG_7357jpg53.jpg

I don't know of any 'must get' shots. Just try to capture some of the excitement that she (hopefully) is feeling. Bounce flash makes for easy shooting.

Don't forget that this is your daughter and you should be enjoying it as well...so don't spend too much time behind the camera. :)

lol I actually really dislike that cake shot...even with my own kids. Of course I took it but it just makes me want to run for wet wipes.

At my son's 1 year, we took a photo of him with each of his friends. Its really for for him now (3 and a half) to look at them and see how his friends have grown too. And get a few portrait like photos before guests come while baby is still clean and relaxed.

Other then that, no good must have shots I can think of. And agree with Big Mike. Get your shots and put down the camera. Slip a little P&S in your pocket for spontaneous things...cause you will NOT care if they aren't the highest quality when you are looking back.

Ahh, you said it - 1 year. In the past two weeks, 1-year-olds have proven to be the most difficult age to work with - seems like they are so independent. Cute and not whiny, but they don't respond well to anything, a real pain in the butt to get them to look at the camera - no matter what noise I make. //end rant

If you have a lens that can get you nice shallow DOF, use it. I love to use my 50 f/1.4 at 1.8 or even 1.4 for snapshots/candids like this. Even though at 1.4 they're not as sharp, it's ok - will make a great 4x6. Can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on my last roll of film, that I used f/1.4 the entire roll! About half the shots didn't turn out, but the ones that did were super creamy and gave you that suckerish feeling.

BM said it - don't worry about it - have fun and take some pictures while you're at it.

Most reactions

Back