1st C&C - B&W

Monochrome Fish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I just joined a few days ago and this will be my first C&C post here on TPF! I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback on some black&whites I took while messing around with my dad's 40D. Thanks!

Pic1 - Speed 1/125, f/4.5, ISO-1000, 53mm
img5078k.jpg

Pic2 - Speed 1/125, f/4.5, ISO-800, 53mm
img5093q.jpg

Pic3- speed 1/125, f/4.5, ISO-800, 53mm
img5092u.jpg

I was using Tv on the dial thing when taking these three shots. I am still learning how to mess with the settings in more detail but i think these turned out well. I was going for a darker theme and somewhat of a solar eclipse effect. Hoping to get some feedback, maybe from someone who has done some shots like this before.

Last edited:
wow... now these are very cool! no grain or noise what so ever makes them turn out nice! I think #3 is my favorite. Not a big fan of 2 (too symmetrical), but number 1 is also pretty cool! The lighting in #1 is also very nice...

thanks for the comment! yeah number 3 is my favorite as well.

anyone else have any other comments/thoughts or critiques?

*Updated/Edit*: Added each picture's settings and a little blurb overall at the bottom of original post.

Last edited:
I like #1 but I wish it was sharper.

Any tips on how I could make it sharper? Like i said i am still messing around with settings, etc. Would a higher ISO do the trick?

No, higher ISO won't make it sharper. If you are not seeing "grain" or "noise" in your photos, then sharpness isn't the issue. Someone stated they didn't see any, so are you seeing something they aren't?

The wonderful thing about digital SLR's is that you can experiment to your heart's content.

The Tv on the dial means you are in "Shutter Priority" mode. :)

loving all 3 of these, nice effect with the B&W, something about the first one tho catches my eye over the other 2 :)

I like #1 but I wish it was sharper.

Any tips on how I could make it sharper? Like i said i am still messing around with settings, etc. Would a higher ISO do the trick?

No, higher ISO won't make it sharper. If you are not seeing "grain" or "noise" in your photos, then sharpness isn't the issue. Someone stated they didn't see any, so are you seeing something they aren't?

The wonderful thing about digital SLR's is that you can experiment to your heart's content.

The Tv on the dial means you are in "Shutter Priority" mode. :)

Most likely no, I am not seeing anything different. And thanks for the ISO tip :)

loving all 3 of these, nice effect with the B&W, something about the first one tho catches my eye over the other 2 :)

Thanks for the comment! I appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back