1st Communion need advice...

I think something may be wrong with my 50mm. I can't seem to get it to AF...

I have spoken with the family and she said there are no restrictions on movement or flash.

She also said there were three things she wanted photos of for sure, the wafer taking, the family prayer, and coming down the aisle.

I am going to the church 30 minutes early and I will have my son stand in various spots to test my settings. From there I will decide on flash, diffuser, or no flash.

Now I just have to hope I can sleep knowing that I will be stepping into a place that is currently part of my worst nightmare. However, I will trust in God that he knows what he is doing by having me face some of my childhood issues that I have been unwilling to deal with. I may even be nice to the priest if he looks my way. Either that or I will drop my camera and run for my life...

Now I just have to hope I can sleep knowing that I will be stepping into a place that is currently part of my worst nightmare.
Do you really believe that you will be doing the family a favor when you have concerns such as this?

BTW I have issues with Priests so there is NO WAY I will be talking to him beforehand.

A priest is a human being in a different form of attire. I believe that you just demonstrated a form of personal perjudice based on a past bad experience?

My advice? Get over it.

My family before they came to Canada was pointed out to the Nazis TWICE by catholic priests becuase they were planning on running away to Canada to escape first the communists and then the persecution of the Germans (One in the then Czechoslovakia, second time in Germany).

I was placed in jail overnight for being a devil worshiper by a priest merely becuase I had a small gold ornamental trinket of a flute playing Pan on my gold chain UNDERNEATH my shirt. Not fun for a 12 year old to be in jail with adults in the next cell with only bars separating us.

My ex-wife was persecuted and then excommunicated by the local priest, church AND the entire community for having a child prior to being married. Gotta love the bible belt. Today she is fine.

I have a couple friends that were abused by a baptist and catholic priest as children, they have moved past that part in their life. It took a little work and some therapy for one of them, but all is well for both.

Today, I have no issues talking to any man with of the clergy anymore than I do my dentist or doctor or a kid in a halloween mask. It would be wise if you took that same attitude, becuase in your life you will be placed often into this situation UNTIL you learn to get over it, just like I was.

This is a touchy subject that need not be broached here, but you are now an adult and someone in control to make sure nothing bad shall happen. In this case, Socrates is right... it is preventing you from doing what you need to do to get the best results. :)

Good luck, you will do fine! :hug::

Post some pics if you are allowed! :)

Jerry,
Yes, I am an adult and that is why I agreed to photograph this first communion. I realize my fears are based on past experiences and that not all priests are bad, however that does not make it any easier to face.

Socrates, it is actually the family doing me a favor by allowing me to photograph their daughter even though they know I may totally panic.

Also, one other thing socrates...I like you, you have a lot of wisdom, but sometimes you can be to harsh. Jerry offered some insight and a hearty "you'll do fine" to help encourage instead of discourage. Just a thought, take it as you will. Either way I appreciate your advice on this forum.

Deep breath, now I am off to be a mature adult AND a photographer. Help me Jesus...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back