1st DSLR - Nikon D90 + Tamaron 18-270 Lens

wedge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Don't know much at this point. The salesman recommended this set up for about $1400 USD.

Should I go for it?

Should I shop more?

He said it was 15mp, but the website says 12.5mp.

Looking for user friendly without needing to be a tech-wiz to get the most out of it. Mostly want great family and vacation photos.

Please Advise!!!!

Thanks;)

"He said it was 15mp, but the website says 12.5mp."

If you buy local, be sure the salesman knows what they are talking about, and that they are honest people.

To someone remotely interested in camera equipment, that seems like more than just a little mistake or misquote. Most of us here would know that to be incorrect.

And that price is even higher than Wolf / Ritz. A D90 body should be about $900, is that lens worth $500.00 to you?

Total price isn't THAT bad (a $900 camera body and a $600 lens for $1,400 - but you can do better), and if it were me, I would keep looking. Find someone else to match or beat that price.

That misrepresentation of mp's doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Family and vacation photos or are you going to get into photography as a serious hobby?

If the former, Just get a D40/D60/D3000 and spend the rest on a couple of lenses, one prime and one zoom.

You don't need a D90 if all you're doing is taking family/vacation snapshots.

Family and vacation photos or are you going to get into photography as a serious hobby?

If the former, Just get a D40/D60/D3000 and spend the rest on a couple of lenses, one prime and one zoom.

You don't need a D90 if all you're doing is taking family/vacation snapshots.

What he said +1.

Used D40's are plentiful, and often affordable, body and kit lens for around $300.00 - $350.00 or so.

Last edited:
The D90 is an awesome camera, thought I would throw that out there. It's incredible easy to use right off the bat but offers plenty of room to grow without overgrowing the cameras capabilities.

Many people have found that once they have the lenses that they use for whatever type of shooting they do, it is the camera body that gets changed most.

For this reason you should buy quality lenses. The Nikon 18-200VR is a very good lens.

You would be better off with a better lens and less camera to start. Any camera you get at this stage will be more than adequate. Learn it and use your lens until you know what type of photos you like to take and what you need to take them.

I have bought and sold quite a few lenses and have never lost money on them. Camera bodies are the opposite. They depreciate much much faster.

...which is a great reason to buy a used camera body.

Wait until a model is discontinued and replaced with latest and greatest, then buy the formerly current model used when prices drop like a rock.

I bought a D80, bag, and a couple of lenses. Camera had less than 1,000 actuations. After selling the stuff I didn't want, I have maybe $275.00 net in a practically new D80. I also have a very low mileage D40 that I have maybe $150.00 in.

May do the same with D90 when price drops low enough.

There might be better DSLR's out there than a D80, but not for $275.00.

Buy high quality glass as an investment, possibly to keep.

EXPECT to replace your camera body every so often.

And enjoy taking photographs.

Last edited:
Nikon | D90 SLR Digital Camera Kit with Nikon 18-105mm | 25448

That is a positively horrible price. From what you save from somebody like B&H, buying the kit lens, you could pick up a *decent* 70-300, and come out with more glass and same body.

That being said, there is lots of great advice in here about glass vs bodies. With a lens, what you see is what you get. If you're not going to scratch the surface of the D90's capabilities, why spend way too much money for things that you will not use?

The D90 is an awesome camera, thought I would throw that out there. It's incredible easy to use right off the bat but offers plenty of room to grow without overgrowing the cameras capabilities.
I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way:lol:

If you just want a vacation camera for family and stuff, you may not need the D90. An entry level DSLR paired with one of those super zoom type lens such as the one you mentioned or the Sigma 18-250mm OS lens should do the job.

Most of the Entry level DSLR offered by major camera companies should be fine.

However, if you want to get deeper into photography, D90 is not a bad choice.

Where do you get these deals from?? I live in a small town with not much here...do you get them online???

If you're traveling around a lot and don't want something heavier then don't go for a D90, try a D60/D3000 instead. But if you want a camera that you want later to become a bit more serious with photography, the D90 is a great one with lots of functions over the D60 but I think it's a little more difficult to use plus it's heavier.

I bought my D90 for exactly the same reasons. Mostly to take pictures of my family and our outings and such. But having the camera for a few months now has made me curious into learning more about photography. It is a great starter camera I think. Yes it's got lots of features I will probably never use but who's to say that someday I won't? And its easy to get nice shots right out of the box. I bought mine with the 18-105 kit lens from Adorama online and got a smoking deal on a refurbished unit that looks brand new :mrgreen: Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to have fun!

Most reactions

Back