LENS recommendation for wedding for DX bodies

Use your 18-200 and for low light situations switch over to your 35mm. Don't bother trying to stick to a prime all day unless you're willing to do a tremendous amount of footwork and miss some shots.

The 17-55mm f/2.8 DX-Nikkor zoom would be the ideal lens. Less expensive options would be the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, or Sigma's equivalent in that same class. A fixed 85mm prime is more of an outdoor lens or a lens for longer-distance shooting.

I have to agree with this 100%, by far the most useful lens in my DX system.

I was wondering if the 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM works with the d5100?

and may go that route for something like the 17-55 2.8. However, two concerns with that specific lens: 1. how often will I use at f2.8? At slightly smaller apertures I would be overlapping with my 18-200 3.5. 2.

I have both lenses and there used for different situations. Yes, the 18-200 covers the range of the 17-55mm 2.8 but the trade offs don't equal the same quality photographs you will see using the 17-55mm 2.8. My 18-200mm VR is used strictly as my quick travel lens…mostly for boy scout camping or family trips. I just toss it in my luggage bag along with my 50mm 1.8D and go. I use my fast glass like the 17-55mm 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 VR II for my more artistic photographs like my Night time Cityscapes etc.

Anyhow, my vote is for a the 17-55mm 2.8 and a Speedlight Flash. If you're not sure you want to pull the trigger on the lens, try renting one for the day and see what you think.

PS: I'm also using a D7100.

Keep it simple. If it's going to be an informal event then just use your 18-200 and bounce the sb600 for the "action" shots and use a 50mm for set-up shots like formal portraits. I like the idea of a "photojournalistic" approach. Think paparazzi style, it would be fun for everyone.

Most importantly, it's your little sisters wedding... be part of the fun instead of being Mr. Pro Photog switching lenses and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

I'd say if he has no budget, go with 17-55 f/2.8...not only it will make wonderful wedding pics, it is also the best DX midrange zoom so he will definitely use that a long afterwards.

You would save money if you went all in now. Get the best you can afford so you don't regret not getting that better lens. 58 F1.4 or Nikon 58 F1.2 Noct.

Neither of those lenses are particularly lending to wedding photography. For the price of one, you could get a 35/1.4 and the 85/1.8.

Aperture value doesn't make the lens better per se. This borders misinformation.

You would save money if you went all in now. Get the best you can afford so you don't regret not getting that better lens. 58 F1.4 or Nikon 58 F1.2 Noct.

Neither of those lenses are particularly lending to wedding photography. For the price of one, you could get a 35/1.4 and the 85/1.8.

Aperture value doesn't make the lens better per se. This borders misinformation.

Thank you.

Isn't the noct a manual-only lens too? That wouldn't work out too well for a job :-/

Most reactions

Back