1st Shots w/New Lens!!!

z06-jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my ‘EF 300 F/2.8 L IS’ in yesterday and these are the very first shots I’ve taken with it.
I didn’t have much time to play with it due to getting home from work late yesterday evening but did managed to find a couple subjects to try it out on.
This lens has already become my favorite, it is fast & sharp!!!!
#1 & #2 shot w/ 2X Extender @ F/5.6 @ 600mm.....
#3, #4, & #5 straight out of lens F/2.8 @ 300mm
Canon 5DII & HSS Flash

569861122_WXTqh-L.jpg

569861191_pQwkX-L.jpg

569860997_EDGDZ-L.jpg

569861050_cx425-L.jpg

569860937_QoRYX-L.jpg

Last edited:
1st and 3rd are unbelievable!

These are really nice!

Great shots...especially the ants. I'm assuming those are classic red ants?
Thanks...I believe you're right, at least that's what I call them...:wink:

Yes, I also call them a HUGE PAIN!

It's also ironic that as much as I loathe and hate red ants, they are oddly pretty in your photo...almost appearing as if filled with amber honey. Alas, I have some new angry red welts that assure me that they are not filled with honey! :x

Great shots...especially the ants. I'm assuming those are classic red ants?
Thanks...I believe you're right, at least that's what I call them...:wink:

Yes, I also call them a HUGE PAIN!

It's also ironic that as much as I loathe and hate red ants, they are oddly pretty in your photo...almost appearing as if filled with amber honey. Alas, I have some new angry red welts that assure me that they are not filled with honey! :x

Seems your relationship with red ants is the same as mine with wasps and hornets. *hands Barking Mad some RAID* :hug::

Great shots, but there is no way you shot @ f/2.8 with a 2x telelconverter attached.

Congrats on the new lens. I would love to get one for rodeo events.

Derrick

#1 Is GREAT! Ive got a ton of humming bird pictures taken with my 500mm f/8 (wish I had a niece long fast peice of glass...all ive got is 50mm f/1.8)
Id try using shutter speed priority and shoot at 1/4000 second....that freezes the wings enough that they arent a blur...but are still blurred...it looks cool, give it a shot next time you can! Or even cooler, try 1/8000, it almost completely freezes the wings (Unless my hand was shaking....I was shooting handheld)

#2 is great, but its over saturated.

#3 is really cool...its a lot of brown in the picture...but its a cool shot.

#4 I dont personaly like it all to much, but its a prety cool shot. The look on the birds face is wierd.

#5 is great! Only suggestion is use a smaller aperture so all the ants are in focus.

I'm not a huge fan of the bird pictures for composition reasons, but the ants picture is fantastic!! :)

The detail in the hummingbird photo is amazing. I've wondered, but not attempted what it would take to "freeze" a hummingbird in flight.

Personally, I like all of them. Great job! You must live some place beautiful to have these subjects handy.

I love #3. He looks pretty proud of himself or herself what ever the case may be. The ant pic is awesome as well but I have to agree with the earlier poster that said a wider DOF might have been nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back