1st shots with the new camera.

Clickr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm Chase. I'm totally new to photography but have some video experience. I purchased a Canon T1i from ebay to shoot HD video and snap pics for a local website. It's been a great camera so far. :thumbup:

Here's a few shots I took over the past week.

3712370279_cc1af804f9_b.jpg
3712370055_6f88ab60bf_b.jpg
3713181272_299831e455_b.jpg
3712369757_ae7058ef26_b.jpg

I'm using the standard kit lens and photoshop cs4 for post.

Thanks for viewing! :mrgreen:

They're all really dark. Don't really care for the PP work either (not a fan of overprocessed images and selective coloring).

They're all really dark. Don't really care for the PP work either (not a fan of overprocessed images and selective coloring).

Ya they are but I think it fits. I did alot of PP because the shots are a bit boring to me.

well you just need to work on photographing better angles or in a perspective that makes the shot interesting. Most of what I shoot (not saying I am great) doesn't get any PP done, and if it does its very minimal. You can't change the perspective of the shot with PP and IMO at least the perspective is what makes the shot interesting.

well you just need to work on photographing better angles or in a perspective that makes the shot interesting. Most of what I shoot (not saying I am great) doesn't get any PP done, and if it does its very minimal. You can't change the perspective of the shot with PP and IMO at least the perspective is what makes the shot interesting.

I'm about having my own style, there are no rules to art IMHO. There's plenty of ways to make a photo "perfect" but there's only one way to make it yours. :thumbup:

hey chase, glad to have you on the forum!

you just said these are a bit boring to you, and it happens sometimes, but just keep up the work and i'm sure you'll find something you like, and a style to accompany it.

I'm about having my own style, there are no rules to art IMHO. There's plenty of ways to make a photo "perfect" but there's only one way to make it yours. :thumbup:
There are different target audiences for your art. If all you're concerned with is making yourself happy with your work, then you're on easy street. :) If you want to do something that inspires others and makes people go "wow, I wish I had shot that" then you have your work cut out for you (like the rest of us).

I wish all I cared about was impressing myself... but then I'm probably a worse critic of my work than other people are. I have maybe 3 or 4 images I'm really-really happy with, the rest are lacking in some way. So I push myself harder and harder, studying the work of other photographers that I admire and trying to build my skills so that others look at my images and think "wow, I wish I had taken that."

You said you found your images to be boring. I agree, the subjects and angles are rather bland. The post editing, IMHO, doesn't help at all. I think the post editing is making them worse. The over processing makes them way too dark, grainy and even less interesting.

Don't get discouraged. Heck, you should see some of my first images... I'm embarrassed to even look at them now. It seems when you first get a camera you just point it at everything and don't really think much about composition, angles, lighting, and other minor details that all add up.

Keep shooting. You'll eventually figure out your own unique style. Don't try "saving" pictures through editing. Approach it by getting a great picture first then editing it to make it amazing. You'll never get anywhere taking boring pictures and trying to make them exceptional... there's more to the equation than just editing.

There are different target audiences for your art. If all you're concerned with is making yourself happy with your work, then you're on easy street. :) If you want to do something that inspires others and makes people go "wow, I wish I had shot that" then you have your work cut out for you (like the rest of us).

I wish all I cared about was impressing myself... but then I'm probably a worse critic of my work than other people are. I have maybe 3 or 4 images I'm really-really happy with, the rest are lacking in some way. So I push myself harder and harder, studying the work of other photographers that I admire and trying to build my skills so that others look at my images and think "wow, I wish I had taken that."

You said you found your images to be boring. I agree, the subjects and angles are rather bland. The post editing, IMHO, doesn't help at all. I think the post editing is making them worse. The over processing makes them way too dark, grainy and even less interesting.

Don't get discouraged. Heck, you should see some of my first images... I'm embarrassed to even look at them now. It seems when you first get a camera you just point it at everything and don't really think much about composition, angles, lighting, and other minor details that all add up.

Keep shooting. You'll eventually figure out your own unique style. Don't try "saving" pictures through editing. Approach it by getting a great picture first then editing it to make it amazing. You'll never get anywhere taking boring pictures and trying to make them exceptional... there's more to the equation than just editing.

Good advise to all of us" noobs":thumbup:

Welcome to the forum!

I think your shots have great potential. (Beautiful animals by the way!) but I agree with everyone about PP being the least of your concern when shooting. I am not even good at Photoshop so I have no choice but to depend entirely on getting a great shot from the start. The photo of your cat is by far the best of the group. I am not a fan of selective coloring. It's a sure fire way to let viewers know that PP work has been done to it. I really enjoy photos (PP-ed or Not) that are exceptional but you can't quite tell that they have been edited. I would try taking the same shot, but at different angles. Make your subject off center in the frame. You always want to make sure that the viewers eye goes directly to the subject. I would also suggest making your goal::Have great shots before you throw it in PS.

Great Start though! =)

Tharmsen had great advice for all of us.

You're correct that there are no 'rules' to art. However, there are many, time tested art guidelines that will more often than not enhance your style rather than cramp it.

Thanks all! Here are a few more I took yesterday. I'm also working on a short video clip.

3716122012_fa0f355d28_b.jpg
3716121910_739ff7a739_b.jpg

Sorry if I sounded a bit "rantish" :lmao:

It just annoys me when say one person or a group sets what's acceptable in a community and everyone else follows like sheep. Adds the same "look" to what they have created to be accepted.

If that makes any sense? :confused:

Most reactions

Back