TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello

In this scenario:

You have a SB-600 and a SB-900 flashes going through an umbrella stand. Control with iTTL from the Nikon camera built in flash. Both are in channel 1, group A.

I wonder if that would work in term of adjusting the compensation from the camera menu.

Specifically in term that both flashes are different size and both max output are different.

If done that way, will the output of light coming out of the flashes will be balance? And be balance when compensating?

Now thinking about it, I think it will work because in TTL each flash will output accordingly and independently.

But I'm not too sure

Thanks

Put each light on its own chan/group in power commander mode and control them seperately

I guess that works but. It's more like I want just them in one group. Because I would use the other groups for different position.

I would uses those 2 flashes as one main key light

This is for a D80 but it helped me back in the day when I used TTL and the menu for your cam should be about the same

Last edited by a moderator:
KmH said:
Are you saying both speedlights are being used on the same light stand/umbrella?

Yes. 1 stand in the right with umbrella. 1 SB-900 and 1 SB-600 going through the same umbrella. TTL an compensation of +1.

I wonder if both light will out the same stop of light

The camera's TTL metering will only see one light, which is actually the umbrella, in effect the combined light of both speedlights.

The SB-600 is quite a bit less powerful than the SB-900, and has a much smaller flash head. I doubt Nikon's CLS would be able to have both speedlights delivering the same stop of light.

Put another way, full or any lower power set on the SB-900 will always be more light, than full power and the same lower power set on the SB-600.

Most reactions

Back