2 for tips

NavyJelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.navyjelly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another example of 2 shots that I'm semi happy with, but something is missing, either in the crop, Post processing or perhaps in the picking of the shot itself.

Any guidance gratefully received.
1-
lights.jpg

2-
staff+car+park.JPG

Cropped, reduced the saturation, added contrast.......

7985-lights.jpg

Foreground too bright. Shadow and hightlights, levels, contrast....

7985-staffcarpark.JPG

Just a starting point......

Thanks for the attention.

1- Regarding the crop, why do you suggest this, is it to bring the largest light away from the centre of the shot or another reason ?
The saturation and contrast I was nearly blind from, so it's good to have another pair of eyes for that, thanks.

2- Yep indeed you are right about the foreground (the left pole also I now can see).
Basically the 2nd shot was pretty much a disaster regarding managing the light then. I already know thats a big weakness that needs attention.

Amazing how often You can only see the obvious when others point them out.

Many thanks for the input, it is very helpful, and appreciated.

Sometimes, we look at situations and get the feeling that it is interesting/beautiful and there must be something there. The difficulty is isolating that something intellectally , understanding what shapes/colors/etc we are seeing and then understadning how to capture in 2D what our mind's eye is seeing.

IMO, neither of these are completed compositions.

#1 is just bright things, overlapping at random, with not much center of interest that can be captured/isolated. My eye just skates around.

#2 the top of the door is clipped, only a couple of the verticals are actually verical and the two pipes spoil the lines of the bike. Sometimes, complicated images just can't be made into good compositions.

Sorry.

Sometimes, we look at situations and get the feeling that it is interesting/beautiful and there must be something there. The difficulty is isolating that something intellectally , understanding what shapes/colors/etc we are seeing and then understadning how to capture in 2D what our mind's eye is seeing.

IMO, neither of these are completed compositions.

#1 is just bright things, overlapping at random, with not much center of interest that can be captured/isolated. My eye just skates around.

#2 the top of the door is clipped, only a couple of the verticals are actually verical and the two pipes spoil the lines of the bike. Sometimes, complicated images just can't be made into good compositions.

Sorry.
Certainly no need to apologise.

I think I do indeed have an issue quite often with what my mind says simply must be a good shot and then realising it in picture.

Regarding the two shots, your comments are helpful, and add to my mental checklist as it were when shooting. Much appreciated.

Back to the drawing board !

I must admit it is always a relief when I make a negative comment and the recipient takes it in the helpful spirit in which it is meant.

Thanks.
Count on me for anything I am competent to help with.

With so many forums/posts/posters/images on here when anyone actually takes time to make a constructive comment, good or bad, I am genuinely pleased to receive it.
And in the end my personal goal is to improve as much as possible in the time I have available and that can only be achieved with honest critique.

thanks.

Most reactions

Back