2 months old shutterbug, please critique.

shadesofme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have owned a D50 for about 2 months and I have taken quite some photos. Although most of them are crap even to my standards, some I am quite fond of. I would however like to improve upon what I have learned; please critique my photos in terms of lighting, exposure, composition, and etc.. Be britual, as I learn best when I am shamed.

chandelier_lrg.jpg

trees_lrg.jpg

the lamp is boreing and the lights are overexposed - It has some potential the more I look at it.

I like the trees but for no reason I can explain. Your DOF is confusing me since it perfectly captures the tree in the foregound yet anything beyond is out of focus. There is more interest in the rest of that photo try a deeper DOF to bring in everything else. Also it looks like there might have been some camera movement.

Ok, Im not one for giving crituques but I will give it a shot.

The first shot looks like it would be a difficult exposure but I would really want to see some detail left in the lit lights. The idea itself seems interesting, were you trying to convey a message by having one light burnt out? I think I would like it if you could nail the exposure. You might need to use more then one source of light.

As for the second shot, my eye is constantly drawn to the right which is dominated by the out of focus background. A less shallow DOF is definatly in order here. I also agree with tmpadmin, there seems to to something other going on then just a shallow DOF, probably a slight camera movement.

Most reactions

Back