2 Moons

Julie Varon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first post. Trying to understand why 2 moons show up in photos of Oct 31st Blue Moon? I did not use a flash and as I moved around I got the same result.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1QFUTnrYLRHLmHcZ8

Hoping to get a definitive answer from members here.

Lens flare. An internal lens element is reflecting the moon's image at a different place in the frame. You're shooting right into the light, which in this case is the light of the moon. I don't know how to prevent the reflection other than to point your lens toward a different part of the sky.

Lens flare. An internal lens element is reflecting the moon's image at a different place in the frame. You're shooting right into the light, which in this case is the light of the moon. I don't know how to prevent the reflection other than to point your lens toward a different part of the sky.

Thank you.
I'm sure that describes what's transpired. Chances are I couldn't easily duplicate it so I'll keep it my "cool pics" file.

Thank you.
I'm sure that describes what's transpired. Chances are I couldn't easily duplicate it so I'll keep it my "cool pics" file.
I've had occasions where I've had similar results, it's not too hard to duplicate if the moon is substantially brighter than the rest of the image.

FWIW flash won't help at all for the moon, given it's distance its unlikely your camera could even register the difference if ALL the flash units in the world were somehow fired at the right time towards the moon.
The moon is over 350 million times further than the distance most normal flashes will be effective (>350 ooo km to ~10m) each time the distance is doubled the lighting has to go up 4x.
I make that needing well over a million flash unit per person on earth for correct exposure. :)

Last edited:

Thank you.
I think you could get it again. Using the same lens, and similar lighting conditions, I think it would happen again.

This is a learning experience. Remember about lens flare when shooting toward any light source, such as the sun or any other light. Street light at night. Sunset. reflection in a window, etc.

Practice shooting toward a light, and see how much you will need to move your lens to either get the flare, or to avoid the flare. This kind of practice will be valuable in future situations.

The first question is, did you remove, the UV filter, polarizer or any other item attached to the lens for the moon light to reflect off of.

I have made this mistake more than once.

Most reactions

Back