2 recent photos of mine - a buzzard and a crow

Simonch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As per the title,

A couple of outings recently with my 70-300 lens, just hand holding the camera! I'm desperate for a 50-500 but my budget dictates that this isn't an option at present!

Cheers,

Si
51838322483_5f210a665b_k.jpg
51830732015_44ce61238f_k.jpg

A nice couple of shots! I like the Black Bird flying along the beach!

If you are talking about the Sigma 50-500, it's a nice lens, but you'll need a limber and a couple of horses to drag it around... :chuncky: I now carry a Tamron 18-400 on the camera, because it is light weight, and have the Sigma on my back, and will switch lenses once I'm at a location where I want to use it. If you look at a site like mpb.com, you can often find a nice discount on decent gear.

A nice couple of shots! I like the Black Bird flying along the beach!

If you are talking about the Sigma 50-500, it's a nice lens, but you'll need a limber and a couple of horses to drag it around... :chuncky: I now carry a Tamron 18-400 on the camera, because it is light weight, and have the Sigma on my back, and will switch lenses once I'm at a location where I want to use it. If you look at a site like mpb.com, you can often find a nice discount on decent gear.
I hadn't seen that lens before!! It's MPB I'm looking at. If I went for the 18-400 I could trade in my 70-300 and my 18-140... How do you rate it as an all rounder? thats a great range on it

I hadn't seen that lens before!! It's MPB I'm looking at. If I went for the 18-400 I could trade in my 70-300 and my 18-140... How do you rate it as an all rounder? thats a great range on it
It is my primary lens for all occasions, handling long telephoto down to pseudo-macro. At the 300mm-400mm range, the focus can start to get a little soft, but it is still a good lens. I got the Sigma 50-500mm originally to replace my stock 75mm-300mm, but found it to be on the heavy side, and so it was a challenge for me to use it for bird-in-flight shots. The Tamron turned out to be a good choice for me due to its light weight and focal range. Of course, there are a lot of factors that to into a photo, so not just the lens. Overall, I like the Tamron. I think at least one other person on here has that lens as well. If you can find a place near you that lets you try out lenses, that is ideal, so you can get an actual feel for it.

Most of my wildlife shots are using a 600mm lens.....

Most of my wildlife shots are using a 600mm lens.....
Hey Jeff, you mean a 600mm prime lens, right? There was a noticeable improvement when I switched to a prime telephoto lens.

There's no substitute for extra zoom. I use the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD for $900 and although a bit heavy at 4.3 lbs., I would never go back to anything less. The 150-600 mm range covers everything in my birding photography and getting in closer means more detail and isn't more detail what we strive for? Personally, I think the pros outweigh the cons, the proof is in the pudding. Rent a 600 mm of any brand and compare your pics, see which you like better. :wink-6: GL with whatever you choose.

Thanks all!! I like to have a decent range! my kids are young and the majority of my photography has them in tow so it is nice to be able to switch from shooting a portrait to snapping a bird! I think the 50-500 is the lens for me based on some reviews I read last night, i'd keep my 70-300 also!

Thanks all!! I like to have a decent range! my kids are young and the majority of my photography has them in tow so it is nice to be able to switch from shooting a portrait to snapping a bird! I think the 50-500 is the lens for me based on some reviews I read last night, i'd keep my 70-300 also!
That is a nice, wide range and if the glass is good, you can always crop in more and hold the sharpness in a pic.

There's no substitute for extra zoom. I use the Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 DI VC USD for $900 and although a bit heavy at 4.3 lbs., I would never go back to anything less. The 150-600 mm range covers everything in my birding photography and getting in closer means more detail and isn't more detail what we strive for? Personally, I think the pros outweigh the cons, the proof is in the pudding. Rent a 600 mm of any brand and compare your pics, see which you like better. :wink-6: GL with whatever you choose.
I agree I would really like an 800+ lens but I can't really justify it.
If I had the money a Canon 400m f2.8 or f4 and use teleconverters to get to 800mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back