200 mm lens search

Helikus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Nikon D40 kit a year ago and decided that it is time to upgrade the lens to something a bit more 'powerful'. I was thinking of a lens in the 200mm region, but the sheer variety is a bit stunning. One thing I noticed were VR and DX variations of most lenses and big differences in price. What should I be looking for when shopping for a lens and does anybody have any recommendations? I am still a beginner and have no specific preference in what I take pictures of, so I am looking for an all-comers lense that will have the most use in a variety of situations. Any help or resources would be appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i'd get the 18-200 f3.5/5.6 ED VRII. pretty sweet lens for a good price

Nikon's 18-200 mm superzoom is one of the worst values in their current lens lineup.

Reviews continually pan the lens because of soft focus at each end of the 11x+ zoom range and the complex barrel distortion at the 18 mm end of the lens.

All 10x+ super zooms are collections of design compromises that have to be made to achieve that long of a zoom range, and wind up being jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

For the "I'm still a beginner and have no preference," I second the 55-200. I got it a couple months after I started to go with my D40. While its quality isn't the best, it's a pretty decent price. I found that I didn't need the zoom as much as I thought I did, and that 200mm didn't get me as close to things like birds and surfing. That may happen to you since you don't really have something specific in mind to shoot, and it'll save you some dough. If you get it and love it, but want the higher quality 2.8 zoom, you can always sell the 55-200 for not much less than you bought it.

Yep starting out on the D40 the 55-200vr VR version. As there is a cheaper non-VR version which I would not recommend. As the VR version better optics and the VR is quite helpful at the longer range. Build isn't the greatest. But light and compact.

Then latter if needing more can go for like the 70-300vr or new 55-300vr which are larger and heavier.

Picked mine up for $125 used. And have seen them $140'ish refurb. If you have around $400-$500 for a zoom then the two above would be a consideration.

Whatever zoom you get. I highly recommend a VR version only. As will increase keepers in lower light and handheld.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back