200mm for Sports?

Yeah thats true. I might just have to save up for it. I will be happier in the long run that way.

Since you're already somewhat hampered with using a Rebel body (in terms of focusing speed and accuracy)

I don't have a Rebel body. I am about to buy a 40d. Also Destin how is the image quality on that sigma?

I absolutely love it.

Check these out:
the last one isn't very sharp looking but its taken at iso 1600 on a d40. So factor that into it.

I have taken about 5,000 sports photos with this since i've had it for the last three weeks. The only time the CA mentioned in reviews is when shooting a dark subject on a very bright (blown out) background. And even then it's only about 25% of the time, and easily fixed in PS or LR.

I have no regrets on paying $800 for this lens whatsoever.

f2.8, iso 400, 500th, 92mm focal length
1041923493_c4YeS-XL.jpg

f6.3, iso 200, 1/500th , 200mm
1045602392_8RXvY-XL-1.jpg

f2.8, iso 1600, 1/400th, 170mm
1039545759_JUHHv-XL-1.jpg

i use a 300mm and it's been fine with field sports like football and soccer, with certain shots i wish i had more zoom though.

Do you guys think I should go for sharpness or faster AF when looking for a sports lens.

I personally would rather have sharper photos than a little flexibility. But... with the Canon 70-200 you can have both. Its not as sharp as the 85,135,or200mm lens but its pretty darn good. I would save and hold out for a used Canon mk I IS f2.8(IS is not needed with sports but you may want for low light). But just my opinion. A prime does make you more aware of whats going on and a zoom will make you a little lazy but with fast action sports the zoom is quite handy. Maybe rent first.

Do you guys think I should go for sharpness or faster AF when looking for a sports lens.

You can have both with the 200mmF2.8L

But I don't know if i want more versatility with a 70-200 yet.

I use a 300mmF2.8L and never miss having a zoom, with a zoom you will zoom out and when you get home you will have to crop, i find with a prime you fill the frame, you wouldn't get this with a zoom because as they come towards you you will automatically zoom out
168444523_PkgVY-L.jpg

Do you guys have any experiences with renting lens online? Any cheap ones or such? I don't have anywhere local that I could rent some from.

There's two Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on craigslist Orange County right now. One with the HSM and one without. both at about 650 I believe.

a 200mm prime is great but it shouldn't be your first telephoto option. A 70-200 is pretty much a must have for any serious/pro photographer. Save your money and buy it once.

a 200mm prime is great but it shouldn't be your first telephoto option. A 70-200 is pretty much a must have for any serious/pro photographer. Save your money and buy it once.

Why should the prime not be my first telephoto option?

Most reactions

Back