20d and what lens???

modest_biker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am buying a Canon 20d pretty soon here and I have decided to purchase the body at ritzcamera and then buy the lens on ebay. The problem is I'm really not sure which lens to buy. I'm really just looking for a good "walk-around" lens for a relatively good price. I was thinking about a sigma 18-125? Any help will be surely appreciated!

Why not buy the 18-55 kit lens with the camera? You have probably read somewhere that it's not the best lens, but for only about $100 more (with camera) it's a pretty good deal for a nice wide lens.

Of course there are plenty of lenses to choose from. I don't know about that Sigma lens, but Sigma does have some great deals on lenses.

I always suggest the 50mm F1.8.... If you don't need a zoom for your walk around lens, the lens is very fast (large aperture) which comes in very handy, especially for lower light and when you want a short DOF. Also, it's a very inexpensive lens, so think about getting it as well as a zoom.

I'm with big mike.

18-55 and 50/1.8 will do the job for you and won't break a budget

The kit lens, while feeling a bit cheap, is actually a great budget lens... This picture was taken with the kit lens, and as you can see, it is VERY sharp.

Personally, my current setup is:

18-55
100-300 f/4.5-5.6 USM
50mm f/1.4 USM

I now I have a gap between 55-100, but I have learned to live with it until I get a lense to fill the gap.

the 100-300 USM is also a pretty darn sharp lens, and I reccomend it if you are on a budget.

Here is that photo taken with the 18-55

img5153sharpsmall3ni.jpg

I also agree, I defenetly say get a 50mm 1.8 lens because its just the best, and defenetly my fav lens...infact I went to a wedding, bringing 18-55 28 -80 and my 50mm, and although my camera was digital so there was a cropping factor that made it 75mm, I still used it the WHOLE time, and didnt switch, so its defenetly worth it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back