20d image transfer question

shuvlhed1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up a used Canon 20d from Adorama. It came with all the software that I installed on my computer running Vista home edition. When I hook up the camera to the computer and open the eos viewer utility, the camera is recognized, and the thumbnails display in the window as .jpg. However, I can do absolutely nothing with the thumbnails, can't save, edit, move, anything. Almost nothing on the dropdown menus is highlighted, with the exception of 'delete images" option. I can't even click on them to bring them up to full size, I just get an error message when I try that. If I disconnect or turn off the camera, the images disappear from the screen. I also tried using the zoombrowser already installed on the computer from my Canon p&s, but it won't recognize the 20d.

Any thoughts?

I hope a Canon person will step in and answer your question definitively, but I'm guessing you'll have to import the images from your camera's memory card to your PCs hard drive. If your computer has a multi-media slot, insert the card in there and browse the images that way. IMO, most of the image-handling software supplied by camera makers is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Welcome to the forum.

With the camera connected to the computer, can you go into windows explorer and open the camera as an external drive/device? If so, then you can just drag and drop the files onto your harddrive.

Either way, I would suggest getting a card reader. That way, you can just take the card out of the camera and use the reader to load the images to the computer, without using the camera's batteries or having the camera tethered to the computer.

Windows explorer or the internet explorer? Either way, I'll try that when I get home. Also will probably get a card reader, but I would like to know how to do it through the camera.

Big Mike is absolutely right. Canon's camera transfer kind of stinks. For about 10 bucks you can get a working card reader from Walmart that will relieve a pretty big headache. Besides that, if you're using Windows (32bit) you can get codecs that will allow Windows to thumbnail and view Canon raw images too. You won't even need the canon software, which in my opinion is clumsier than it needs to be.

Most reactions

Back