220 roll in a 120 back.

Galaxy_Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok.
I did a veeeeery bad thing.

I shot a roll of 220 in a 120 back. I'm getting overlap on the images. Anybody know if this is fixable?

Galaxy_Stranger said:
Ok.
I did a veeeeery bad thing.

I shot a roll of 220 in a 120 back. I'm getting overlap on the images. Anybody know if this is fixable?

GS, what camera did you use?

I shoot Hasselblad and have an old style 12 back which I trick into taking 24 pics on 220. They do overlap some, a little bit if you're careful. Otherwise you'll have to get a 220 back or adjust the tension of the film plate to the thickness (paperless) of the 220. Let me know what kind of camera you have and I might have an answer for ya...

This happened on a Kiev88 6x6 120 back. Now, any 120 rolls I shoot have overlap. The roll starts out good, and gets steadily worse into bad overlap at the end.

Are you saying the only difference between a 120 and 220 back is the adjustment on the pressure plate? Wonder if i should tinker with it...

Galaxy_Stranger said:
Are you saying the only difference between a 120 and 220 back is the adjustment on the pressure plate? Wonder if i should tinker with it...

Yes, there should be different pressures according to the film in use. !20 has paper backing, therefore is thicker and requires a little less pressure. Also, the take up spool will wind up the film according to the thickness of the film. You can fit less of 120 film than you can fit of the 220, hence the overlapping.

I am not very familiar with the Kiev system but I know it's similar to the Hasselblad. Adjusting the pressure plate to the new thickness could be tricky as it would take a few tries to see the results. What you might want to do is throw the old film in there and work it frame by frame, after adjusting the pressure and marking each frame with a permanent marker. That way you'll be able to tell if and where overlapping still occurs.

However, I don't recommend thinkering with it unless you know exactly what you are doing. There is a great danger of ending up with more parts than you can put back into the film back. It has happened to me... :wink: :lol:

Jeff Canes said:
Live with it by pretending that it’s a 645 :wink: and get a 654 mask for view finder

Brilliant!! :D Excellent, most excellent!

Jeff Canes said:
It was think :scratch: is there such a thing as a 645 mask for the film back :?:

Yes, Hasselblad makes it and I believe it will fit the Kiev backs as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back