24-105mm L soft, need help!

tonee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Two things come to mind - your shots seem to be at, or very near the minimum focusing distance. Second, the focus itself seems not to be right on (second image). If you're concerned about the lens, you need to eliminate other possible sources of lack of sharpness. So, I suggest you retake your shots, making sure that your subject is not at the minimum focusing distance, placing your camera on a tripod (to eliminate any possibility of motion blur, and to lock in the focus), use live-view to ensure you've got the focus directly where you want it, using either the self-timer or a remote control to trigger the shutter (again to eliminate blur-inducing vibration), and then you can see if it is the lens or something else. I find that using autofocus (on my T1i) just doesn't work well when the contrast level is low, so for anything requiring critical focus, I use the above method. I have the same lens as you have, and it is very good. In my case, when shots are not sharp it is usually due to (ahem) operator error.

Edit: Also, focus manually, not autofocus, turn off IS, do your test with a high-contrast target (B/W text on an angle will work well), ensure you have enough light. If you google "lens focusing targets", one of the first hits is this link: http://focustestchart.com/chart.html, which seems to be oriented to the Nikon D70, but the concepts and the test chart are globally applicable.

Last edited:
Did you shoot RAW?

It's a Canon 24-105mm lens...images look about par for the course...seriously....

What the minimum focus distance for that lens? You may be just a tad too close, thus not it the useable focus area.

Try setting up the tripod a few feet back and just zooming a tad more to compensate.

I'm with Derrel. The pics in your OP look acceptable. All digital pics require some sharpening due to softening from anti aliasing. That and the fact that not all "L" lenses are created equal. There are some stellar "L" lenses, and some that under perform given their "L" designation.

What the minimum focus distance for that lens? You may be just a tad too close, thus not it the useable focus area.

Try setting up the tripod a few feet back and just zooming a tad more to compensate.

It's 1.5ft. What settings should I use? I just got the lens. The images I've taken of my son isn't as sharp as my 17-85mm.

I'm with Derrel. The pics in your OP look acceptable. All digital pics require some sharpening due to softening from anti aliasing. That and the fact that not all "L" lenses are created equal. There are some stellar "L" lenses, and some that under perform given their "L" designation.

Should I exchange mine for another one?

I have the same lens -- give me ten minutes and I'll post an example.

Joe

Here's a direct link to a photo I just took with the same lens.

http://photojoes.org/twinings.jpg

I dropped the res down to 2048 pixels and applied light sharpening for screen display. Other than that it's untouched.

Shot full-frame on a 5D at ISO 800 (too hot outside) hand held at 1/320 sec. and wide open at f/4 with the lens zoomed to the far 105mm end.

I deliberately tilted the can (show DOF) and focused on the near corner -- placed the focus spot over the G in twinings.

The next test would be to shoot a page of newsprint on the wall with the camera level to the wall. I can already tell you that such a test on a full frame sensor would show the corners to fall off at f/4 and not clean up until f/8. It's a zoom lens after all and you got to have reasonable expectations.

======================================================

Did you disengage the IS on the tripod? You should.

Is the tripod heavy enough to dampen out mirror vibration?

Joe

Here's a direct link to a photo I just took with the same lens.

http://photojoes.org/twinings.jpg

I dropped the res down to 2048 pixels and applied light sharpening for screen display. Other than that it's untouched.

Shot full-frame on a 5D at ISO 800 (too hot outside) hand held at 1/320 sec. and wide open at f/4 with the lens zoomed to the far 105mm end.

I deliberately tilted the can (show DOF) and focused on the near corner -- placed the focus spot over the G in twinings.

The next test would be to shoot a page of newsprint on the wall with the camera level to the wall. I can already tell you that such a test on a full frame sensor would show the corners to fall off at f/4 and not clean up until f/8. It's a zoom lens after all and you got to have reasonable expectations.

======================================================

Did you disengage the IS on the tripod? You should.

Is the tripod heavy enough to dampen out mirror vibration?

Joe

IS was off. Tripod isn't that heavy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back