24-70 vs 24-105

Besides the optical properties of the lenses, you also need to consider their bulk/weight. If it's the primary lens, it can really wear your neck or arm down carrying a heavy lens.

My main walk-around is 70-200 II atm and I don't have a problem. The two most important things about the lens in the order of importance are these:

1. Wow factor.
2. IQ

I wish I was joking about the wow factor, but I keep proving my own point every time I am shooting another wedding.

Besides the optical properties of the lenses, you also need to consider their bulk/weight. If it's the primary lens, it can really wear your neck or arm down carrying a heavy lens.

My main walk-around is 70-200 II atm and I don't have a problem. The two most important things about the lens in the order of importance are these:

1. Wow factor.
2. IQ

It's my main lens, but when you are shooting anywhere from 1 to 6 football games in a day? It gets to be a problem! Add to it the fall weather and Old Lady Syndrome and it sure did a number on my elbow! Hefting it? not a problem. I got guns on my right arm from that sucker! The joints? falling to rack and ruin

1. Wow factor.
2. IQ

It's my main lens, but when you are shooting anywhere from 1 to 6 football games in a day? It gets to be a problem! Add to it the fall weather and Old Lady Syndrome and it sure did a number on my elbow! Hefting it? not a problem. I got guns on my right arm from that sucker! The joints? falling to rack and ruin

6 football games a day? What? And get a monopod.

Sent from my Nexus 7

One of the differences to consider is what the f/2.8 ratio does to your image. You can force a narrow DoF and stronger background blur -- if you want it.

I looked at it this way: I own a 70-200, so the extra overlap point (70-105) that I pick up on the 24-105 is really a convenience and not so much a necessity. I preferred the performance of the 24-70 f/2.8 - knowing that I'd have to change lenses, but I'm ok with that.

I've got a small pile of lenses by now so the thought of buying "the lens" so I never have to swap lenses is just not reality. I usually think about what I'm likely to shoot before I pick the lens(es) I want for the day.

1. Wow factor.
2. IQ

6 football games a day? What? And get a monopod.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I have a great carbon fiber one that is light and everything, but I SUCK with it. I am up and down and it's more of an impediment to me than anything else. I keep telling myself I AM going to learn to use it better, but...
BUT... I only have one day with that many games this year. I have most with 4 and a couple with 5, but it's not as bad as it could be... I usually have one Football and one Soccer on Fridays, then Saturdays are my worst.

I am thinking there's got to be a monopod with a flip release for the leg at the base like some tripods have. Anyone got a suggestion? I live 8 hours from a GOOD store that would carry something, so I am ordering. Wait... NM... That's another post...

Since no one has mentioned it, you might consider the Tamron 24-70 VC which has their version of IS if you cannot wait for further delays of the Canon 24-70 mkii to see how much better it is going to be. If you are not afraid of straying from Canon glass, the Tamron has proven to be quite comparable and sharper at the wide end. And again, it has IS. It is a bit pricey for non-Canon glass, but functionally, it may serve you best with the options that are currently available.

I am thinking there's got to be a monopod with a flip release for the leg at the base like some tripods have. Anyone got a suggestion? I live 8 hours from a GOOD store that would carry something, so I am ordering. Wait... NM... That's another post...

You mean a flip release to allow the telescoping leg sections to extend?

Benro has it: | C38F ? Cat. C38F

I own a couple of them... one is mg-aluminum, the other is carbon fiber. But I really DO like the quick flip-lock legs.

YES!!
I have tennis elbow from my 70-200. Hasn't bothered me until probably about 2 weeks from now when I start shooting football non stop!

Then wouldn't it be football elbow?.. :lol:

I have the 24-70 f2.8L, and I absolutely love it. The only thing I would get the 24-105 for is the IS for videography, which I've been getting into a lot lately. Helps with a little bit of the camera shake in video I hear.

Most reactions

Back