24-70 vs 24-105

JTM_04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I am looking to get either the 24-70 2.8 or the 24-105 f/4. I'm hoping to hear from someone who either owns both or has shot both to see what they think of the differences. I dont know if the IS of the 24-105 is really that necessary or not. I dont plan on shooting in too much low light but I may alittle and I'm just curious if the 2.8 is that much more important. Thanks for the input

I've shot both, own the 24-105. Didn't play around with the 24-70 too much but its a workhorse. A fine piece of glass.

The 2.8 will perform better in low light, and honestly, you say you won't be in low light situations, but eventually you will be, I said the same thing, and there are times where I wished I had the f/2.8.

The 24-105 is a great lens don't get me wrong, its a fine piece of glass as well, had I done it over again, I'd shell out the extra for the 24-105.

Better yet, depending on how desperate you are, wait for the MKII of the 24-70 f/2.8 to come out, if you can afford it.

One of my other factors was price of course, depending on how the pricing works for the new MKII, I may upgrade or find the 1st version used at a decent cost.

Also, do a search of f/2.8 vs f/4 and you will find some great articles.

Yeah I have looked at some articles and vids about them. I just didn't know how big the difference really was between them

If I'm not mistaken, the f/2.8 is 4 whole stops faster than f/4. That's fast. Even in good light, you can really bump up that shutter speed and really stop action dead in its tracks. Also f/2.8 makes for a nice thinner depth of field than the f/4.

There is a reason the f/2.8 are a hell of a lot more expensive. If there weren't enough difference, nobody would buy them...

If I'm not mistaken, the f/2.8 is 4 whole stops faster than f/4. That's fast. Even in good light, you can really bump up that shutter speed and really stop action dead in its tracks. Also f/2.8 makes for a nice thinner depth of field than the f/4.

There is a reason the f/2.8 are a hell of a lot more expensive. If there weren't enough difference, nobody would buy them...

f/2.8 is one stop faster than f/4

And there is no 24-70 II. It's a myth. :lol:

i have the 24-70 2.8 and i must say it spends the most time on my camera. i love it. i also have the 70-200 2.8 for when i need extra... some day ill have the holy trinity.

i have the 24-70 2.8 and i must say it spends the most time on my camera. i love it. i also have the 70-200 2.8 for when i need extra... some day ill have the holy trinity.

The holy zoom trinity doesn't exist on canon system yet. Now, next year they're supposed to announce 14-24 or something like that...

oops, i have to get better at reading the forum title. didnt realize this was canon.

f/2.8 is one stop faster than f/4

And there is no 24-70 II. It's a myth. :lol:
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens 5175B002 B&H Photo

FYI, f/1 is four stops faster than f/4. 1.0, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Haha, indeed the MKII seems to be a myth... they keep delaying the dang thing... lol

and thanks for the clarification on the stops, still learning myself! lol

Besides the optical properties of the lenses, you also need to consider their bulk/weight. If it's the primary lens, it can really wear your neck or arm down carrying a heavy lens.

Besides the optical properties of the lenses, you also need to consider their bulk/weight. If it's the primary lens, it can really wear your neck or arm down carrying a heavy lens.

That's what the gym is for! Also BlackRapid straps.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

YES!!
I have tennis elbow from my 70-200. Hasn't bothered me until probably about 2 weeks from now when I start shooting football non stop!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back