27 frames?

darry85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I just bought a Olympus epic stylus zoom 140 and I’m putting some film through it. It’s a fully automatic point and shoot camera and when I load it it sounds like it’s advancing and it takes a while to rewind so I think it’s being taken up on the spool. The odd thing is, it goes to 27 frames and then rewinds. I only use 24 frame film. Could it be skipping frames or shooting blanks? I know I won’t know until I develop it, but I’m curious to know if this has happened to anyone with a fully automatic camera and possible causes.

Thanks!

The camera has an auto-load feature. You don't need to advance the film one or two frames worth of film with the back open in order to 'start' the film on the take-up side of the camera. So you end up being able to get 2 or 3 more usable frames out of a standard 24-frame roll of film.

@480sparky is correct, the auto mechanisms tend to be more efficient at loading. This is also a small (read narrow) camera which reduces the dead space on either side of the frame opening. I have a Rollie 35 which similarly has very little dead space and often gives me 3-4 extra frames over the quoted amount.

Most reactions

Back