28-135mm IS USM lens WILL NOT RETRACT

Gryphyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I bought a used 40D with a 28-135mm stock lens (brand ULTRASONIC) a few months ago, and tonight, after I finished taking photos, I attempted to retract the lens to 28mm to put it away, but it stopped at around 75mm and would not retract any further. It physically resists rotation of the zoom ring past that point. It feels like a mechanical issue where something inside the lens has slipped out of place and is in the way of the inner barrels. I have been unable to confirm what the problem may be and have not seen a post with a similar issue through my initial research.

Any ideas as to what it may be and what I can do to fix it?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's the correct lens. I saw the problem with that bracket, but I don't believe that is the issue. I don't see anything physically out of place upon external inspection. I have looked in the back end and through the front lens under good lighting and have found nothing.

I have just discovered that the inner barrels of the lens do seem to move around a bit more than they used to, however. They shift to the left and right when the lens is oriented as it would be in the camera. don't know if this would be connected to the larger issue I have.

Send it in for repairs, but know that you will most likely pay half or more of the value of that lens to get it fixed.

I located the source of the issue. What was jamming it up was a silver screw that worked out its hole and got caught between the innermost barrels of the lens. I worked it loose, and now it rattles around inside the lens. As far as I can tell, it is the only loose part in the lens. I am unable to get it out of the back end as it is sealed off.

I have no intention of sending it in anywhere if it will cost more than $40-50, so is there a way I will be able to get in there to remove it and get it back where it belongs?

Here is a parts list, any guesses as to what part it may be?
http://www.micro-tools.net/pdf/Canon/EF%2028-135%203.5-5.6%20IS%20USM.pdf

$20120929_102738[1].jpg

Time to send to Canon for servicing

You can take the lens apart like in the link I posted earlier, but I don't recommend it. You will introduce all sorts of crap into the lens in doing so. Either get it professionally repaired, or throw it away.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back