28-75mm f/2.8, good first lens?

pwat92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everybody im about to buy my first dslr, and i was gonna just buy a body and then try and find some quality used glass on the market and i found this:

Tamron Canada DSLR Photo Lenses - TAMRON 28-75mm f/2.8 Nikon Di A09N 104A09N CANADA -

used for $250,

has anyone hear had any experience with this lens? and what do you think about it as a first lens to learn with, it has a good focal length, and the 2.8 apeture will be great for bokeh and low light, any thoughts?

Great lens to start with like my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 that I upgraded to from the 18-55 kit lens on my nikon.

You didn't state which camera? As with Nikon entry cameras there is no built-in motor in camera. So this lens will not AF on those entry cameras. Where the 17-50 f2.8 does AF as has a equivalent AF-S motor built into the lens where the 28-75 does not.

Also many miss the 17-28mm end more for indoor and landscapes,cityscapes,etc.. more than they would miss the 50-75 end. As they can move closer to compensate for the difference. But can't compensate for needing wider in many situations.

So you may consider the older non-VC Tamron 17-50 f2.8 can pick up for around the same price. Especially if you are going to be shooting on entry body like the D40,D60,D3100,D5100 entry cameras.

I have the tamron 28-75 and love it. it has the internal focusing chip in it as I do shoot a nikon entry level dslr. Great lens not as wide as I initially wanted but you need the AF version. If you are looking to purchase an AF version for a nikon message me and we can work something out. Im trying to upgrade to a UW lens

the camera i will be using is the Nikon D90, so the focus motor isnt really an issue, and would you say the 17-50mm f/2.8 is better to start with because of the wideness? is it really not wide enough, im just worried that 50mm wont be long enough, and ill be looking for another lense in a couple of weeks?

Last edited:
the camera i will be using is the Nikon D90, so the focus motor isnt really an issue, and would you say the 17-50mm f/2.8 is better to start with because of the wideness? is it really not wide enough, im just worried that 50mm wont be long enough, and ill be looking for another lense in a couple of weeks?

When it comes to the 28-75 many have to verify that it indeed comes with the in lens motor. As for the longest time Tamron only had the non Bim version and chose to put in the 17-50 f2.8 first. So there are versions of the 28-75 out there without the Bim (built-in motor)

Well for some 28mm is wide enough. Others not so much. Really comes down to style and needs. If wanting to shoot indoors 28mm may be wide enough for most? situations. But for street,candid,Buildings and city would think the wider the better.

For the lack of 50-70 just equates to either half a dozen steps forward or a tad more cropping to compensate. For wider there is no way in many situations to go wider. Just a thought.

As have a Sigma 10-20 for landscape and such so could get by quite well with the 28-75. Tho if I didn't have wide than for my needs the 17-50 a better fit. If wanting the most then the Nikon 16-85 or the Sigma 17-70 maybe the way to go tho will cost you more up front.

I paired that lens with my D90 and enjoyed that combination. It was a noticeable upgrade from the kit lenses.

Its a great focal range and if your into people studies and general stuff - its perfect. Not too wide, great aperature for natural light - you should do well with it. Good choice of lens to start with!

For the lack of 50-70 just equates to either half a dozen steps forward or a tad more cropping to compensate. For wider there is no way in many situations to go wider. Just a thought.

is it really only 12 steps? if so that really isnt alot i wouldnt mind the extra 3 steps, do the two perform the same, as in sharpness?

Tamron 28-75 is a great zoom lens which I have used it by my Pentax K10D. Expecially very useful for portraiture btw when it comes to landscape, 28mm isn't wide enough.
And it had a well known front focusing and back focusing issue, mine had that problem too and I have sent it to Germany Tamron to have adjusted. Before buying it don't forget to test it for front or back focusing issue.
Afterall I strongly recommend it because I loved it a lot.

I have the 17-50mm f/2.8, 28-75mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 (All Tamron, Canon mount). The 28-75mm is without a doubt the very best out of the three. It's sharper, quieter, and more accurate focusing. The 17-50mm is NOT a bad lens, but it tends to be a little soft, especially at high apertures (f/22). The 28-75mm is built TOUGH as well, and it has a pretty close focusing distance. Pair it up with some extension tubes and you have a pretty good Macro lens.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that if the D90 is a cropped sensor I would still go with the 28-75mm since the 17-50mm will not fit on a full frame in case you ever decide to get one. And if you do get a full frame the 28mm will be only a couple of mm's more focal length than the 17mm on a cropped sensor.

Most reactions

Back