28mm advice needed asap!

a_spaceman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi!
straight to the point: anyone has experience with the rokkor mc 28mm 3.5 lens?
on the rokkorfiles site it says it's the poorest of the family and slower than the others is it true? is it still a good one tho worse than its "brothers"?
and has anyone experience with hanimex lens? would a 28mm hanimex a good alternative for the rokkor?
thanks a lot!

Hey a_spaceman -

Firstly, i must confess that i don't have specific experience with either of the lenses you list.

However, i do have a similar 28mm - the MD W Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 and it is a very good lens. Though definitely not up to the MD W Rokkor-X 24mm f2.8 or the MD W Rokkor-X 35mm f2.8, (two superb lenses), it is very good and i'm actually about to run it through some testing.

Generally speaking, i'd say Minolta Rokkor glass will outperform 3rd-party lenses every time. There may be an ocassional exception, but that would be highly unusual.

HTH,

frank

I have used the Vivitar 2.8 28mm lens on the Minolta SRT102 and the XD11 and it provides great sharp photos with minimum distortion.

skieur

thank you both!
yeh i am interest in the 24mm, too but tends to sell for much higher prices so i may just settle with the 28mm to start with.
what i'm after is a beautiful and very wide angle lens.
if by distortion you mean the rounding of the image by the corners it is welcome for me. what i would like is some kind of mix between a normal wide angle and a fisheye, if it makes any sense...?!

thank you both!
yeh i am interest in the 24mm, too but tends to sell for much higher prices so i may just settle with the 28mm to start with.
what i'm after is a beautiful and very wide angle lens.
if by distortion you mean the rounding of the image by the corners it is welcome for me. what i would like is some kind of mix between a normal wide angle and a fisheye, if it makes any sense...?!

In terms of distortion, I mean buildings leaning in or out from the camera at an unnatural angle created by the lens. You should be aware that despite any personal preference, it is considered poor photography that requires correction. When I say considered poor photography I mean by both the enthusiasts in clubs and competitions as well as the pros. Quality fish eye photography for example is done in round environments such as dome stadiums, planetariums or circular staircases.

skieur

thank you all for the advices!
i eventually got myself a carl zeiss jena 28mm 2.8
i have seen mixed review but mostly positive and for 10 quid it seemed to me a good tool to get started with wide angle. i'll let you know how it works as soon as i take and develop some photos, can't wait!

thank you all for the advices!
i eventually got myself a carl zeiss jena 28mm 2.8
i have seen mixed review but mostly positive and for 10 quid it seemed to me a good tool to get started with wide angle. i'll let you know how it works as soon as i take and develop some photos, can't wait!

Sounds like a great choice. Enjoy it. :wink:

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back