2nd camera body or a very nice main lens?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would you rather a 2nd camera body or a real nice main lens?

I have a 40D, 17-85, and Sigma 70-200 2.8 (along with a couple primes). I love the 40D and the 70-200, but my 17-85 seems to be lacking in build quality, sharpness, and speed. So, in this sense, I am considering selling the 17-85, and buying a 24-105 f/4 IS.

or...

Keep my equip and get an extra camera body...either a new Rebel XT or a used 20D.

What would you rather have, a real nice quality main lens, or a 2nd camera body? (considering you have my current equip)

I'd say go with the lens. Unless your doing something like weddings or senior portraits where you need those pictures and you need them no matter what, then a second body doesnt really make sense. If your not happy with your lens and are happy with the body just get a new lens.

I would vote on the lens. For the already mentioned reasons...and the fact that you'll still be unhappy with the lens if you get a new camera lol.

You need the new lens more. Just remember it won't be nearly as wide.

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I'm slapping myself in the face for even posting about this. My 17-85 works fine. I just simply got the urge to have something nicer when I read some reviews about the 24-105. Really, my 17-85 has never served me wrong. I did have a 20x30 printed, and no...it wasn't as sharp as pics taken with my Sigma 70-200. However, I rarely blow pictures up that big, and certainly not enough to warrant spending $1000 on a lens.

Really, a second camera is what I need. I got more cage fight jobs, and at the cage fight the 17-85 worked well, but I also wanted to use the 70-200 to get the scary-close pictures. This was not possible since everything happened so fast...not enough time to change lenses. Having just found out that I will be doing cage fights more, I will get the Rebel XT. I can justify that so much more. For one, it's a light camera to have around my neck so I can have a little lens hooked up to that, and then I can also have my bigger lens hooked up to my 40D. In addition, my wife helps out with the events I do. So, it would always be great to have a second camera body for her to use as well.

Thanks for the advice, and though I really want a 24-105...and will get it down the road...it probably isn't the smartest thing for me at the moment.

Especially remembering back to the day I had only the Rebel XT and a 18-55 kit lens (only about 1 year ago)... I am truly blessed to have the glass I do have. It never disappoints me until I compare it to L series glass, so I should definitely stick with that until I start making the big bucks to justify the big L. Having an L series lens won't make me a better photographer at the moment, but having an extra body will. Then I can have 2 totally different focal length lenses on hand at all times if necessary, which will certainly happen.

Thanks for the advice, it's always been good. It was my bad to post the wrong info in the first place.

I went with a 2nd body also. I had a Nikon D80 first and then picked up a D40 later. It saves the trouble of having to constantly swap lenses if I was using my 50mm f/1.8 on my D80 but then suddenly needed a wide shot. The D40 with the 18-55mm to the rescue!

Nikon wanted me to spend $1200 on their 17-55mm f/2.8 DX which doesn't even have IS/VR. Between that and the 18-55 kit lens, there really isn't much difference at the wide end between f/3.5 and f/2.8 either. I have to say though, if I shot Canon that EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS would be hard to resist. I'd probably have one already. In most normal circumstances the IS/VR won't do much on those lenses, but for walkaround nighttime photography without a tripod, it's still invaluable. There's actually a lot of lenses in the Canon system that I lust after, such as the EF-S 10-22, and the 70-200 f/4L IS.

Anyways, the 2nd body comes in really handy when I need it. Yes, at PAID events I do walk around with both on my neck at the same time, and the smaller D40 is far easier for my wife to shoot with if she needs to too. My D80 is way too big for her, and that's before I got the battery grip for it, lol.

I am dealing with that very same issue. I shoot 2 lenses a lot for most of my gigs and it is very hard to change lenses all the time. I shoot a D200 and I have a 70-200 2.8 (and love) for mid and long range stuff. If I move around, I have an 18-135, 4.5-5.6. My backup body is a D70, good backup but bad primary. My struggle is good lens on bad body, bad lens on good body? Darn frustrating!

My wish list has a 17-55 2.8 lens and another (probably) D300 body on it. So... good lenses on both current bodies (if I buy the 17-55) or suck it up for the speed and options in the body? I HATE these decisions!!!

I know you do a lot of sports, so I'd go for the body. The first time you have a shot of a guy in a "rear naked choke hold" across the octigon and your using the long lens and he breaks free to run to the close side where you are and "catches his opponent with a spinning back-fist"... you thank yourself for hanging one body on your shoulder to pick up the other shouldered body with the wide lens. ;o)

Go for the body...

maybe!

If you are going to consider the 2nd body, I would actually look at the 20D/ 30D for two reasons.
1) build quality because of the enviriment you are in. Not actually in the cage (I hope) but the more moving around and knocks it might take. No pun intended.
2) The user interface will be more like the 40D, so switching between the two will be more seamless. Button layouts, scroll wheel, etc. I used the XTi for a bit and it took some getting use to. The viewfinder is TINY.

Though a 24-70 f/2.8 L might serve you better than the 24-105 methinks to get those nice fast action shots. Or even the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The larger aperature will help with indoor lighting, but if you are fine with the 17-85 than you might not need the faster aperature.

If you are going to consider the 2nd body, I would actually look at the 20D/ 30D for two reasons.
1) build quality because of the enviriment you are in. Not actually in the cage (I hope) but the more moving around and knocks it might take. No pun intended.
2) The user interface will be more like the 40D, so switching between the two will be more seamless. Button layouts, scroll wheel, etc. I used the XTi for a bit and it took some getting use to. The viewfinder is TINY.

Though a 24-70 f/2.8 L might serve you better than the 24-105 methinks to get those nice fast action shots. Or even the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The larger aperature will help with indoor lighting, but if you are fine with the 17-85 than you might not need the faster aperature.

Some good advice. Really, I know of where to get a 20D for a good price, a real good price. But, I think the XT is more for me, specifically (probably not for all people). I would like my second camera to be that size, I think... I had the XT before and loved it, so I am used to the controls. You're right about it being weird switching between the two, so that's something I need to consider. However, I'm not necessarily set on the XT over 20D, but that's what i'm thinking at the moment.

As for being in the cage, I am sometimes..hehe.. but after the fight is over for the victory shots.

Fast wide lens... I'd love a fast wide lens, but for now my 17-85 does fine. I use my 430ex on a bracket to raise it up enough so it doesn't brighten the fence in front of the lens too much. With the light of the flash, I don't need a 2.8 as much (though it'd be nice for getting through the fence a bit more)

well this is all some real good advice, and the nicer wide lenses will be something within the next year.

Wait... I just had the case of deja vu...

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105788

In fact soylentgreen's response sounded just like my post #3 in that thread.

hehehlol.. really having a tough time deciding eh , Keith.

I say lens..

but if you really need a 2nd body.. go with the 20D just as suggested in the other thread. Oh lets not forget the wonderful 16-35 f2.8L.. well liked by street shooters.

Most reactions

Back