2nd lens choice

marinpic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, newbie to the list, have done tons of film shooting, but am still a digital novice.

I have a Rebel XT, with the 17-85mm autostabilize lens (the expensive one) which is currently in the shop for the dreaded "ERR 99" bug.

My question is this: I actually do a fair amount of closeup shooting (flowers, etc.) and I am not happy with the 17-85 as a closeup lens. For one, it is too heavy. For another, it is really not designed for that use. I have an older ef28-80 from my old film camera, and it does excellent macro work, unfortunately, it is broken also (no longer autofocuses or goes into macro mode), and Canon says they will not repair that lens anymore.

My question to you all is: what would be a good 2nd lens for closeup work, or should i find somewhere that can fix the 28-80?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

John

The Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro is hard to beat (it also is a great portrait lens). Another option (see danoe's images on this site) is the Sigma 105mm Macro.

Hi John,

I have the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro and love it for close up shots. I also use it as a short telephoto as I am using a 40D which has a 1.6 crop factor. If money is a problem, you can buy extension tubes, close up lens, reversing ring. There are many ways to get a close up. If you want the least hassle and the best quality pics then buying a lens designed for that purpose is the best choice. Sigma is also a very good choice.
Michelle

Don't disreguard the above posts. I hear a lot of good things about that 100mm f2.8 Macro and see it recommended all the time followed by pleased recommendees, but I would definately advise finding a repair facility for that 28-80. You alredy have it and it would make for yet another lens to choose from.

If you are going macro then there are pretty much 3 choices around the 100mm mark. That is Canon 100, Sigma 105, Tamron 90
All 3 are pretty identical IQ wise, just have to figure if it is worth it to pay for the slightly better features on the canon

Downside to the canon is you have to get the lens collar and lens hood as seperate additions (they don't come with the lens).
Now whilst the hood is almost and essential buy some consier the collar to be less so - the lens is not impossibly heavy to balance on a tripd, but I have found that when on a focusing rail (often used in macro work) a camera does not site comfotably of stably on the rail - the weight of a lens tends to act as a level and the camera body can come loose - not loose enough to fall off, but loose encough too need tightening for macro work - a collar (and better weight distribution that follows) holds still better.

Also consider the sigma 150mm and 180mm lenses as well - the 150mm is about the same price as the canon 100mm macro with both its collar and hood.

In general though all these prime macro lenses are very good quality and there is not too much to pick between them in those terms. The longer focal lengths do allow for a larger working distance (though its only a few cms) which some find useful for hunting bugs (that said 100mm is certainly enough of a working distance for bug shooting).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back