2nd shooter

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I posted a thread on local CL looking for a 2nd shooter for a wedding in March. I got many responses ranging from people with consumer camera with kit lenses all the way to 5d II with L lenses and Nikon D700 with nice lenses. My question is, do I just grab the good one eventhough the main shooter (which is me) has less experience and less equipped? The pay is around $125.

Or shall I grab someone with about the same level of equipment? Some of them even offered their service for free. What are your thoughts? I am planning to make them sign a contract too.

I'd say go wish someone equally experienced or less....help someone and show someone the ropes...but that's just from someone that has not shot a wedding or anything paid before.
blue

I guess it really depends how much responsibility you'll be giving your second shooter, honestly. I've seen cases where the second shooter just gets the detail shots and a few candid shots, but it could be a lot more in your case. Do they have any experience shooting weddings? If yes, what does their portfolio look like? Is their shooting style similar or compatible with yours? Can they help you with your lighting setup? How much gear do they plan on bringing? Do they plan on renting extra gear, as well? I'd say go for the experience, but that's just my two cents. Just a few things for you to think about in your decision making :)

I am not really sure how much responsibility. I have never been a 2nd shooter and I have never used one.

ask to see their prior work and judge with that, whether it is weddings or not.

anyone can buy gear these days, and as its always said, its not about the gear they have.

i would say if you know their experience to be legit, go with the experience!! why risk someone with the same level experience if (for the same money) you can get someone who may even teach you something??

I agree with BT...look at their work not their gear. Then if the gear fits....

Yah, I say look at their work and make sure you get someone that has wedding experience. This will allow you provide the B&G with great picutres, cover any shots you did'nt get, and also learn from your second shooter possibly as well.

I recently shot my first wedding a few months back and hired a second shooter that had 5 weddings under his belt and some good gear. I got some good shots myself, but with mine and his shots combined, it made som great sets. He was a little more creative than I was, so it helped to provide to the client, as well as mad me learn on the angles and creative thoughts he had.

It was a great experience.

Make sure you make it clear how they can use the images they shoot.

An option if you want full control is to give them memory cards to shoot on and collect at the end.

^ Yah, that was my agreement when I hired the second shooter. I would just provide him with CF Cards before we started, than when he was finished, he just handed the cards back over to me.

is it possible to find a real experienced shooter for $125? I'd think I'd take the guy with good gear and some experience knowing that if he's gonna take such low pay he's in it for the learning experience too.

anyone can buy gear these days, and as its always said, its not about the gear they have.

This is proven daily here.

Ask if they have ever shot any tattoos, or hot cousins.

p!nK

Yes I have seen their work. As expected the ones with so so equipment werent that great. Gsgary, what is wrong with $125? At least I am paying them and they get experience? I could easily find a free 2nd shooter. I will use the good one i guess.

I have no problem they use the image for the portfolio as long as they put my name on the credit as the main shooter. I will also make sure I will be the only one in contact with the client.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back