Nikon D7000 vs Nikon D5200 vs Canon 700D

alex591

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I am currently looking to buying my first ever DSLR. I want to buy used,because I feel that used cameras give me more features for less,and maybe with some lenses thrown in too. I have looked at the deals,and the 700D,D5200 and D7000 seems to match my price bracket(420 USD) pretty well. I live in Romania,and use a local site(olx) so the 400 USD price may be a little high compared to something like ebay.

The 700D is the cheapest of all three,I can get the body+ 18-55mm IS STM lens for about 330 USD which gives me the budget for the 50mm F1.8(the nifty-fifty) too.

The D5200 has the most "bundles" with 2 lenses.For example,there is one with DX AFS NIKKOR 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 G II VRII and AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II for around 420 USD

The D700,recommended by a friend, is the most "pro-like" with the addition of the top LCD,however it is the oldest of them all.The best deal I could find is 390 for the body,grip and 50mm F1.8D.

I have looked at the studio shots for all three of these cameras(RAW,800 ISO,low light),and the 700D seems a bit noisy.

Or should I buy new? Any help is appreciated.

I almost always buy USED camera bodies and lenses. I think the D5200 would be quite good, and having two lenses, both with Vibration Reduction (the VR in the lens names) would be good. An 18-55 and then a 55-200 would be a good setup to start with. The Canon 700D plus an 18-55 and a 50mm lens would be nice, but the 50mm is not a particularly good lens from Canon ( I owned one, loud focusing, not a pretty imager, but still, a sharp lens), and the 50mm length is duplicated in the 18-55mm.

The Nikon D7000 was never a particularly popular model, and it has a 16 MP sensor. It's a good price used in most markets. I do think the "7000" series Nikon bodies are a bit better in terms of having individual controls, one for the f/stop, one wheel for the shutter speed. I think that makes using Manual, Aperture-priority,and Shutter-priority metering modes be a bit more convenient for the camera operator. Plus, the "7000-level" Nikon cameras can automatically focus the older AF and AF-D series lenses, since the 7000-level Nikons have an in-body focusing motor that focuses those 1980's-early 2000's-era AF-series and AF-D series lenses. The 3000-series and 5000-series Nikons can NOT automatically focus with those older lenses.

At one point I had two D7000 bodies. It gets very noisy in low light and/or high ISO. But you referenced shooting in studio. If you're shooting in studio then it should be fine. In fact, I would particularly recommend the D7000 for that because that body of Nikon will allow you to use the popup flash as a commander with a mix of Nikon and off-brand speed lights. If you're just starting out and looking to shoot in-studio, then you'll want some speed lights and triggers. Just starting out, the Nikon commander capability means you can forego the triggers in the near future and just make sure you get speed lights that will work with that system. However, I believe that the D5200 doesn't have that capability.

I won't be shooting in a studio at all.Just taught it might be a good reference point to image quality produced by the sensors.

Compare the Nikon D5200 vs the Nikon D7000
I had a D7000 for several years and just recently upgraded it to a D7500 and I used a D5100 for a year before getting the D7000. The only advantage I see that the D5200 has over the D7000 is 24MP vs 16.1 MP and the fully articulated screen. The D7000 is weather sealed, has a much bigger and brighter viewfinder, 2 card slots etc.

Canon 700D / T5i
  • Note the "nifty fifty" refers to the 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera.
    • 50mm was the normal lens on the 35mm film camera. 35mm film format is essentially the same as 'full frame' digital.
    • The equivalent normal lens for a Canon crop camera is a 35mm lens. But Canon does not make a 35mm crop lens.
    • A 50mm lens on a Canon crop camera is a short telephoto. Is this what you want?
Nikon D5200
  • Nikon D5xxx is lighter than the D7000 or D700 cameras.
  • But the D5xxx CANNOT AF the older AF and AF-D lenses.
    • If you do not intend to use a AF or AF-D lens, then this has little/no relevance, except to give you the "if you ever get a AF or AF-D lens" option.
    • It has more relevance for those of us who have or would get the older AF and AF-D lenses.
  • The swiveling rear screen can be a great feature, so you don't have to lay down in the dirt/mud for LOW angle shots. Or guess the shots as I have to with my camera, without a swiveling screen. Half the time, my blind shots are not pointed correctly.
Nikon D700 or D7000 ???
  • You mention both D700 and D7000. These are 2 very different cameras.
    • The D700 is a full frame/FF/FX camera.
    • The D7000 is a crop/DX camera.
  • A 50mm lens would be a normal lens on the FF D700, but a short tele on the DX/crop D7000.
    • The 50 on a FF D700 is a very usable single lens.
    • The 50 on a DX/crop D7000 would be a less usable single lens, because of its tighter viewing angle. The normal lens for the DX cameras is a 35mm lens.
  • On a D7000, you will likely be wanting a 2nd lens fairly soon, because just the 50 on a DX body will be quite limiting.
Both Nikon cameras
  • Check the Nikon camera/lens compatibility charts related to the new AF-P lenses.
    • The AF-P lenses have a hard cut-off on which of the older cameras it will work on.
    • And even the later models has limited compatibility. Example on my 1 generation old D7200, I cannot turn OFF the VR on the lens, so I cannot use the lens on a tripod.
    • You may never get an AF-P lens, but you should know if you can or cannot use it, as that could affect future lens purchases, as it did for me.

I still love my D7000. It is still quite a capable camera despite it's age. It does have some more additional pro-like options and it feels good in my hands. Having two SD card slots is great. The weather sealing is a nice feature to have. Especially for me when doing astroimaging, I may spend a couple of hours on one subject. If the dew starts to kick up, I won't have to worry about the camera getting damaged. And I have seen a lot of dewey nights. lol

The D5200 isn't a slouch either. It should produce a bit better images than the D7000 due to the higher pixel sensor and newer image processor. It is lightweight so carrying it around shouldn't be an issue. As mentioned, you won't be able to auto focus with some of the older AF and AF-D lenses. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I can manually focus. :)

I don't know much about the Canon 700D other than it is leaned towards the beginner photographer. It will also produce good images as well and it is lightweight. Plenty of Canon glass to put on it.

I think any of those three cameras would be just fine to start with. If I had to choose one to start out with, I would probably go with the D5200.

I have a D5200 and a D7200. They have essentially the same sensor although the D5200 has a low pass filter. I can take as good an image with the D5200, it just takes a little more effort. The pluses for the D5200 are its lightweight size and flippy screen. In my opinion, the choice between the three would be the D5200, without question.

Canon 700D / T5i
  • Note the "nifty fifty" refers to the 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera.
    • 50mm was the normal lens on the 35mm film camera. 35mm film format is essentially the same as 'full frame' digital.
    • The equivalent normal lens for a Canon crop camera is a 35mm lens. But Canon does not make a 35mm crop lens.
    • A 50mm lens on a Canon crop camera is a short telephoto. Is this what you want?
Nikon D5200
  • Nikon D5xxx is lighter than the D7000 or D700 cameras.
  • But the D5xxx CANNOT AF the older AF and AF-D lenses.
    • If you do not intend to use a AF or AF-D lens, then this has little/no relevance, except to give you the "if you ever get a AF or AF-D lens" option.
    • It has more relevance for those of us who have or would get the older AF and AF-D lenses.
  • The swiveling rear screen can be a great feature, so you don't have to lay down in the dirt/mud for LOW angle shots. Or guess the shots as I have to with my camera, without a swiveling screen. Half the time, my blind shots are not pointed correctly.
Nikon D700 or D7000 ???
  • You mention both D700 and D7000. These are 2 very different cameras.
    • The D700 is a full frame/FF/FX camera.
    • The D7000 is a crop/DX camera.
  • A 50mm lens would be a normal lens on the FF D700, but a short tele on the DX/crop D7000.
    • The 50 on a FF D700 is a very usable single lens.
    • The 50 on a DX/crop D7000 would be a less usable single lens, because of its tighter viewing angle. The normal lens for the DX cameras is a 35mm lens.
  • On a D7000, you will likely be wanting a 2nd lens fairly soon, because just the 50 on a DX body will be quite limiting.
Both Nikon cameras
  • Check the Nikon camera/lens compatibility charts related to the new AF-P lenses.
    • The AF-P lenses have a hard cut-off on which of the older cameras it will work on.
    • And even the later models has limited compatibility. Example on my 1 generation old D7200, I cannot turn OFF the VR on the lens, so I cannot use the lens on a tripod.
    • You may never get an AF-P lens, but you should know if you can or cannot use it, as that could affect future lens purchases, as it did for me.
Thank you for your detailed response,I really appreciate it.
The D700 was a typo,I meant the D7000.
My main consideration is the included lenses.If I catch a D7000 with decent lenses included,I will buy that,but if not I will go for the D5200.

I had a D7000 for several years and just recently upgraded it to a D7500 and I used a D5100 for a year before getting the D7000. The only advantage I see that the D5200 has over the D7000 is 24MP vs 16.1 MP and the fully articulated screen. The D7000 is weather sealed, has a much bigger and brighter viewfinder, 2 card slots etc.

Nikon's 16MP sensor was trash, as well as the D7000's focus module.

I'd rather the D5200 over the D7000.

Hi!
Can you evaluate why is it bad?

I just wanted to clarify my post in case there was a misunderstanding. I have the D7200, which is much superior to the D7000 you are looking at. The D5200 and D7200 have the 24.1 mp sensors, which have been the top of the line for AP-C sensors for several years. In my opinion, they are better than the new Nikon 20.1 mp sensors except for video. The two main things I look for in a setup are the sensor and the lens. Other things enhance or detract from quality of image (auto focus, image processor, vibration reduction, etc.) but the raw material for the image comes from the lens and the sensor.

The 24.1 mp sensor in the D5200 was a quantum leap from the 16.1 mp sensor in the D7000. Google comparisons between the D7000 and the D7100 to see the difference. Here is a link to DXO Mark for the three cameras.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Com...-Nikon-D5200-versus-Nikon-D7000___865_850_680

You can also compare the D7000 with the D5200 with various lenses. When you compare using the Nikkor DX 18-55 you will see the D5200 is 2 MP sharper (6 mp compared to 8 mp). When compared with other lenses the D5200 is always 2 to 3 mp better.

The D7000 may not be the latest and greatest but it is far from being trash.

The D7000 suffered from major back-focus issues, if you're lucky you didn't have the issue, but its a well known issue that plague a huge user-base [just like the d800].

Coupled with the 16MP sensor that isn't that great [really falls apart ~3200iso], it's really not worth the risk buying used. Especially when you factor in the $150-250 repair to fix your focusing issues...

The D5200 has the same 39pt focusing module and the much better 24mp Toshiba sensor. Given the choice I'd go with the D5200 despite being a entry-level camera. I would pick the D7100 over it in a heartbeat however.

Last edited:
I would pick the D7100 over it in a heartbeat however.
This.

My main consideration is the included lenses.If I catch a D7000 with decent lenses included,I will buy that,but if not I will go for the D5200.

If you are considering a used camera body, you may or may not find a deal that includes any lenses whatsoever, and any deals that include a choice lens will be as rare as hen's teeth.

If a used camera is something you will consider, then do your lens shopping separately from the camera shopping. You can find superb lenses on the used market, but they will probably not include any camera body.

Now your task is to divide your budget into camera body and lens acquisition prices. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back