2nd take on natural lighting

knjrphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just did a quick set up to try a couple different things using natural light and trying to take some advice from my previous post.

I used morning lighting coming through living room window. I bounced a light off the ceiling same level as subject from camera left and tried to position a light to separate Penelope from the background. I think that I clearly need some instruction on background lighting.

I think there was too much light coming from the left ...

The skin looks weird here, which is probably the effect of the mixed lighting. I did a little PP to try to correct the color. Maybe the original was better. I'll have to add that one to the post.
Original
4666608422_568c9b578c_m.jpg

PP
4665958621_549c016567_m.jpg

Black and white. I think this is the best version.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4666608422_568c9b57
4677204334_bf0dcb83dc_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think the actual light levels are fine. The main problem seems to me the "interesting" skin tones (and part of that may be due to an uncalibrated monitor) I'm seeing. There's an almost green cast that I assume is a result of the two wildly different temperature light-sources used. If you're going to go with natural light sources, my recommendation would be to use ALL natural light, and use reflectors rather than studio lights to supplement the window light. I think as well the dark studio backdrop is less than ideal; perhaps something light, but softly focused?

I do have a light colored backdrop. It's vanilla and so it is almost yellow - that is why I stay away from it - I think it's ugly.

I will pull it out and try reshooting with reflectors and see what I come up with.

I'm thinking more background rather than backdrop. Why not set up a background that is appropriate, say a hobby-horse, perambulator, etc but use selective focus and distance so that they are only suggestions in the far background?

I'm thinking more background rather than backdrop. Why not set up a background that is appropriate, say a hobby-horse, perambulator, etc but use selective focus and distance so that they are only suggestions in the far background?

I got it now. I haven't experimented with "props" before.

Added the black and white version of the original - which I think makes this one look pretty good. Maybe a little too much contrast. The face looks to have a couple hot spots.

Most reactions

Back