2nd try Jr High Basketball C&C Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cranked the ISO up to 6400, ran around 70-200mm and had the aperature between 4.0 and 5.6, set it on shutter speed between 400-500.

Colors are somewhat muted, but the lighting is crap so I did with what I had. Alternated between 'Auto' WB and the cloudy setting.

Got a few decent shots. I know a 70-200mm 2.8 would be a better lens, can't afford that one right now!:confused:

This guy was on a different team playing a game before our school started. Getting the camera set up, and caught this one:

IMG_2409-1.jpg

IMG_2415-1.jpg

IMG_2435-1.jpg

4. Here I had switched to 'auto' on the WB. I like the color better, but the white uniforms are a bit washed. He made the shot, but no dunk!

IMG_2527-1.jpg

5. Cheerleaders
IMG_2467-1-1.jpg

Looks way better. The only tough part is backgrounds, and from the stands finding less distracting ones are difficult. You're one the action and it's stopped, you are going in the right direction.

Yeah I agree they look better, 4 is a pretty cool shot. You can see the noise quite a bit more than the last time but you kind of have to decide what is more important. Did you run these through noise reduction at all? I've personally never used it but from the tutorial I saw it's pretty amazing. Does the first one, number 10, have one arm? He has to I don't think it can be hiding somewhere, that's pretty damn amazing if I'm correct. As always thanks for posting it makes me feel lazy because other than food I haven't snapped a shot in a couple weeks my camera is feeling neglected.

The problem with white balance in gyms is the fact that the lighting alternates from the AC cycle, enough apparently to change your ambient light from shot to shot. For basketball, I oftentimes shoot with my 50mm f/1.8 from under the hoop of the home team and sort of "wait" for the action to come my way. Here are some from last year (I alternated between the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 50mm): https://picasaweb.google.com/115431473780024151471/SeySdhs# and https://picasaweb.google.com/115431473780024151471/SeymourvSDHS#

@Shootermcgavin,

Yes the boy in shot #1 has only 1 arm. I thought it was a pretty cool shot that makes the viewer beg for the backstory! He was pretty quick on his feet, and in that shot was going for a 3 pointer. He hit the rim, but missed the shot.

I did very minimal post processing on these, basically what photobucket had available. I have photoshop at home, but frankly didn't have the time this morning to do any real pp on them.

Thanks for all the comments.

Yeah I agree with your thinking on #1 although I didn't catch it the first time I looked at it but that makes the shot way cooler to me. It makes me try to imagine how he got there stopped planted and shot, none of the other shots make me think that hard. It also makes me think there's a high possibility I'll see this kid on the front of yahoo someday with one of your pictures up. Very cool.

@Shootermcgavin,

Yes the boy in shot #1 has only 1 arm. I thought it was a pretty cool shot that makes the viewer beg for the backstory!

I hadn't even noticed until people brought it up. If he's striving to be seen as "just a ball player", he's certainly succeeded with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back