3 Hours with a DSLR

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first 3 hours using a DSLR. I took more than 100 pictures, and deleted more than 100 pictures. Was just getting the hang of exposure and stuff. A bit used to my D5100 now. I feel really excited. It's my first DSLR and I've waited long enough. Haha! Please critique my photographs.

#1 -
~ Nikon D5100, AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G, M Mode, 24mm at f/4, 1/160sec at ISO 100.
~ Default settings on ACR, default grayscale, lens correction, cropped, denoised, did some minor cloning, resized and sharpened.
~ This shot was at least 4 stops underexposed according to my camera's metering, the original picture was almost black and white, it made me thought that I set the camera on black and white, should have stopped down a bit though.
web1iv.jpg

#2 -
~ Nikon D5100, AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G, M Mode, 55mm at f/5.6, 1/160sec at ISO 100.
~ Default settings on ACR, custom grayscale, lens correction, cropped, denoised, did some minor cloning, resized and sharpened.
~ This shot was at least 4 stops underexposed according to my camera's metering, the original picture was almost black and white, it made me thought that I set the camera on black and white, should have stopped down a bit though.
web2f.jpg

i dont really get the subject. Perhaps you should take about 3 weeks or maybe even 3 months with your dslr. You will progress so much in that time too.
We lose a lot of the detail in the fixture itself. I would bump the iso

The first 3 hours with a DSLR should be spent reading its manual.

Take a week and go outside would be my suggestion... But hey you made a wall sconce somewhat interesting... But its still just a wall sconce. ) = Find a more compelling subject and you will get more compelling feedback ( =

Good for you! Shooting is awesome. I think everyone can learn so much more in their first hours hands-on. It's the only way to really get to know your camera. I agree with finding more interesting subjects though to make shots more exciting. Keep it up!

---
Learn to shoot action at Action Photo School

Yes, I was reading the manual, that wasn't included in the 3 hours. I was reading halfway and I got bored, then I touched my DSLR and instantly got addicted. Lol... It was nighttime though.

Take a week and go outside would be my suggestion... But hey you made a wall sconce somewhat interesting... But its still just a wall sconce. ) = Find a more compelling subject and you will get more compelling feedback ( =

Thanks. :D

i dont really get the subject. Perhaps you should take about 3 weeks or maybe even 3 months with your dslr. You will progress so much in that time too.
We lose a lot of the detail in the fixture itself. I would bump the iso

Why should I bump the ISO? Is it too underexposed?

Good for you! Shooting is awesome. I think everyone can learn so much more in their first hours hands-on. It's the only way to really get to know your camera. I agree with finding more interesting subjects though to make shots more exciting. Keep it up!

---
Learn to shoot action at Action Photo School

Yea, it's true. I was learning everything about photography and photo editing before I have even gotten a DSLR. A few weeks ago I started playing with my friend's 4/3rds and I found out I have a big problem in speed, composition and precision.

EchoingWhisper said:
Why should I bump the ISO? Is it too underexposed?

I like it the way it is. I don't know why you would need to bump the ISO - you had a pretty decent shutter speed.

I've read so much on photography (and I remember mostly everything I read/hear) but its a lot different to put it to practice. You already know a lot of the technical stuff so it won't take long to get the precision, speed and composition down.

It must feel great to finally have it in your hands huh? It's about time! :) I'm addicted to my camera and have been since I opened the box!

I disagree

I agree with Ballistics. *sorry Tevo*
Who, in their right mind, would spend all this money on a camera to go home and just sit there and read their manual. I think the manual is important but I don't think it should be the very first thing you do. I didn't read my manual for almost a month and I was just fine. Also, I can't imagine spending 3 hours reading a manual. 3 hours? Really??? :)

Reading manual is good for newbie like me, but sometimes you can learn much more when practicing with your camera or getting knowledge from your friends or others who played with DSLR for long time. More over, you can download manual before purchasing camera so it's not really necessary to spend three first hours with it.

It all depends how you learn. Who cares WHEN some one reads the manual...? As long as they do.

Some people learn the functions better through trial and error, and dont realize what they don't know until the problem arises. Then go to the manual to solve it... For some people, reading about something has very little meaning until they actually have had the experience to draw from.

All learning is, is a change of behavior resulting from experience. Sure the manual is important, just let the poor guy have fun with his camera. Back up off and let him figure it out....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back