3 portraits... CC Please - Need to know how I am doing on sharpness.

zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a new color picture of yaya and Rylee..

Please see NEW BW of the picture (1) - Its HDRish - Any thoughts,,, Shows lots of Yaya's wrinkles... Ya YA is what Rylee calls her grandmother
48621996td5.jpg

bwuy7.jpg

2. Yes my son needs braces :) This one is a little soft I thought it was funny

12266936ih2.jpg

10895128oc9.jpg

colorful pacifier in #1 is a nice contrast

Very nice.. The children are extremely photogenic! You did a very nice job with composition and cropping. As far as sharpness goes, I really like the way you are going about sharpening the image, then coming in with a "soft tones." It works really well, and looks nice. It adds a "mood" to the photo.. In fact, would you mind sharing what you're using to accomplish this effect?

I'd watch out for the soft focus in the second one. I like the dof in the third too, I'm not sure if it was [like I usually shoot them] a happy accident.

I prefer the natural look of the skin tones in older people. I think it gives a character to the print. I'd tell "mom" that she looks beautiful just like you photographed her and any playing with the skin tones would be "pestering perfection". ;o)

I'd watch out for the soft focus in the second one. I like the dof in the third too, I'm not sure if it was [like I usually shoot them] a happy accident.

I prefer the natural look of the skin tones in older people. I think it gives a character to the print. I'd tell "mom" that she looks beautiful just like you photographed her and any playing with the skin tones would be "pestering perfection". ;o)

Thats what I told her. I love wrinkles on older people. In her younger years she looked like Susanne Sarandon... I still think she is beautiful the way she is!

The third was a happy accident! u guessed it!

2nd pic - I agree with what you said... I think I may have over noised ninjed it.. I just liked my 10 year old being like ewww.. get away nanny and her being nanny .. :)

Very nice.. The children are extremely photogenic! You did a very nice job with composition and cropping. As far as sharpness goes, I really like the way you are going about sharpening the image, then coming in with a "soft tones." It works really well, and looks nice. It adds a "mood" to the photo.. In fact, would you mind sharing what you're using to accomplish this effect?

Thank you !!

Im not a PS wiz at all.. so Im sure there are MUCH better ways !

I used the clone tool at 40% thats about it. I over did it on my MIL because she was sitting here saying.. make me look young.. I HATTTEEE doing that.

Then I use a high pass sharpening technique from Scott Kelbys book PSCS2 for Digital Photographers.

I dodge a bit on the eyes... just a tad on a seperate layer. I'm still learning ..

A wrinkleless face like that is very unnatural and photoshopping is way over done. The trick is to do it in such a way that it is not obvious, unless you're in the fashion industry. The easiest way is to just do what you did on a separate layer and then take the opacity down a touch so the wrinkles look through but appear younger.

any of the PP you've done is overdoing it. Do not get rid of the wrinkles...but number 2 makes things just....far worse. The contrast is too much for this type of shot, and makes both subjects kind of freaky.

A wrinkleless face like that is very unnatural and photoshopping is way over done. The trick is to do it in such a way that it is not obvious, unless you're in the fashion industry. The easiest way is to just do what you did on a separate layer and then take the opacity down a touch so the wrinkles look through but appear younger.

thank you !

Sorry Dianah, Im not liking the Photomatix BW version. That would be an example of where HDR (or rather just tone mapping in this case) is not needed. Just IMHO.

On the color images, it looks like you used USM for defogging, which sometimes is not needed either, unless the image really needs some contrast.

However, I do want to point out that your daughter is one of the most adorable kids I have ever seen photographed! :)

NJ

Sorry Dianah, Im not liking the Photomatix BW version. That would be an example of where HDR (or rather just tone mapping in this case) is not needed. Just IMHO.

On the color images, it looks like you used USM for defogging, which sometimes is not needed either, unless the image really needs some contrast.

However, I do want to point out that your daughter is one of the most adorable kids I have ever seen photographed! :)

NJ

thank you for commenting! I am going to try the photomatix one differently and can the hdr. I wanted to see what it would look like on a wrinkled person,,, Not very good.. I'll post the 3rd attempt.

Most reactions

Back