What's new

First time attempt at head shots C&C please

Joined
Jan 11, 2015
Messages
502
Reaction score
398
Location
Denver
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So my wife needs some head shots for her business and I decided to give it a go and practice on her before attempting the entire staff. I certainly don't want to waste everyone's time.

I would like some constructive criticism but have never done head shots or portrait photography before so please don't be too hard on me.:smile-new:

I showed my wife some different lighting styles and she really liked the high key clam shell style so that's what I went with. All three examples below were shot with 85mm, f/5.6, iso 100 on a Canon 6D using three speedlights and a white bed sheet for the background.

A couple of my own observations. How do I fix this?
1. Not enough background separation from the hair.
2. Weird light cast on the back of the shoulders.

The sheet came right out of the packaging and was supper wrinkly so I really had to blow out the background big time to git rid of the weird texture created by the wrinkles. As a result I think my background was acting as an unwanted light source on the subject. Maybe I should have moved the subject away from the background a bit to get rid of some of the light being cast on the back of the shoulders and hair, or maybe I just need to iron the sheet and use a bit less power on the speedlight?

Please let me know how I can improve and what I did right.

Thanks for you time!

1.
Headshot2 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr



2.
Heahshot1 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr



3.
Headshot3 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr
 
Complexion looks a bit unlikely smooth.
I suggest you crop to standard size and narrow the space at her back.
WB a bit cold for my taste.
Eyes could use a bit of brightening, imo.
(and fix up that bit of hair trailing)

great start.


upload_2016-9-6_12-9-44.webp
 
Ah yes @The_Traveler that is a nice improvement! I did try to warm up the WB a bit but am not sure of my monitors color correctness and did want to over do it, So thank very much for giving me a gauge to go by. Also thanks for the advice on the skin smoothness. This is something I did want some opinions on also but I wanted it unsolicited so thank you for that!
 
On a side note what is considered standard size for this type of head shot?
 
1. Iron the sheet

2. LOTS of separation - 6-8'

3. Cross light the background

4. Lew's recommendations

What is the use/what industry are the headshots for?
 
1. Iron the sheet

2. LOTS of separation - 6-8'

3. Cross light the background

4. Lew's recommendations

What is the use/what industry are the headshots for?


Thanks so much for the advice.

I wasn't sure on the background separation It was maybe 18" at most so I'll try that!

My wife owns a physical therapy clinic and Pilates studio. These are to be used as the head shots for all the staff members PTs and instructors on her website. Each headshot will be accompanied by a staff member bio.
 
...My wife owns a physical therapy clinic and Pilates studio. These are to be used as the head shots for all the staff members PTs and instructors on her website. Each headshot will be accompanied by a staff member bio.
Okay, then you're shooting position and overall look is appropriate; at eye-level or perhaps even slightly above, just make sure you don't shoot from below.
 
Thanks! Yes I was shooting at eye level. Actually hadn't even though of that aspect of it so on the next round I'll position the lighting to give me a little better flexibility to shoot at eye level of slightly from above to see which works better.

Again thanks so much for the advice guys, I really appreciate it and I know in the end my wife and her staff will as well. :joyous:
 
It looks like they have you covered. And you did a great job on these. The one thing that bugs me is the two catchlights in her eyes, I would clone out one. But that is a small one. :)
 
.
Eyes could use a bit of brightening, imo.

What method is best to brighten the eyes i'm not too savvy with PS but I'm pretty good with LR. Also when you say brighten the eye do you mean just the iris and pupil or the whole eye socket in general? Thanks!
 
It looks like they have you covered. And you did a great job on these. The one thing that bugs me is the two catchlights in her eyes, I would clone out one. But that is a small one. :)

Thank you I wondered the same. Do you think cloning out the upper or lower reflection would be better?
 
In LR you can use the light brush to lighten the area around the eyes. That would be my choice.

For over smoothed skin consider cutting out the original face, pasting it back onto the over smoothed face and playing with the opacity slider. If you like the mouth and eyes as they are just erase that part of the mask. :)
 
Thank you I wondered the same. Do you think cloning out the upper or lower reflection would be better?

I was hopping you wouldn't ask that! LOL I think I would keep the upper, but not sure. I don't know what the best location for a catchlight should be, maybe you should adjust your lights to change it.
 
Thank you I wondered the same. Do you think cloning out the upper or lower reflection would be better?

I was hopping you wouldn't ask that! LOL I think I would keep the upper, but not sure. I don't know what the best location for a catchlight should be, maybe you should adjust your lights to change it.

Haha yeah thanks I thought the upper was the one to keep as well.

Here is my favorite of the three retouched will all the recommendations above. Is this better?

1. I reduced the skin softening.
2. I bumped up the color temp and added just a touch of magenta to the skin tone.
3. I brightened the eyes using a radial filter and cloned out the bottom catch light.
4. I tightened up the hair a bit.
5. I used a standard 5x7 crop. I tried 8x10 as well but preferred the 5x7 better.

I included the original as a comparison.

Headshot2.2 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr Headshot2 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom