virginie24jb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

I'm going on a 3-week trip to the US in September (Washington, Richmond, Chicago & Iowa) and this time I'd like to do some timelpases. Problem is I own one DSLR and you're stuck there not being able to get other shots while recording the timelapse. That's why I'm looking at a solution for a second camera.

1. A second DSLR. It would also be useful to have one with a wide angle lens and the second one with a more versatile lens. We wouldn't have to change lens every five minute during the day while visiting and walking down the streets. Problem is, my dream DSLR right now is a 6D. Rather heavy and expensive. I have other expenses at the moment to prepare this trip and I don't think I can spend €1500 on a camera right now. I could buy another one (second-hand, less expensive) that I could sell when coming home. But would someone buy a DSLR that had already two owners?
My biggest problem in having a second DSLR on this trip is weight. My backpack is heavy enough and a second camera means a second sturdy tripod for evening and night shots.

2. A GoPro. It's light, small, we could use it to make videos while driving and I could sell it when we're back from our vacation (or keep it...). Is the quality of the image still good if I zoom (Ken Burns effect, etc.)? How do I know the picture is good since there's no screen? How do you even frame it without a screen? They sell external monitor, would that be a solution?

3. An iPhone. The quality ain't that bad, we have an app that handles timelapses and we would have it with us anyway. Problem is space. If we use it for videos during the day, is there enough space on it at the end of the day for one or several timelapses?

What would you do? Any other pros and cons for each?

Although I am not a Canon user (Nikon girl here...) I always carry 3 cameras with me whenever I am traveling. 2 are my normal use cameras and a Point and Shoot. Because my husband is an airplane fanatic, we go to airshows and fly-ins. I use one for ground shots and my good one for air to ground shoots if we are on the ground. I have an intervalometer on both my cameras and the Point and Shoot is the my everyday carry camera. I don't have an iphone and I do not use my iPad as a camera. I use my iPad as a navigation tool for when I am flying my plane. The Go-Pro is great on airplanes but I have not used it on the ground apart from when we put it on one of our dog's neck.

Maybe your solution is just to rent one and return it when you come back.

Several months ago, I bought a second camera to go with my 5D mark iii. As I needed something for 'discrete' shooting, I opted for a G15...small, pocketable, black, and built like a tank. I happened to catch it on sale as well. The G15 did well for my 'discrete' shooting in a shopping mall and was a whole lot easier to carry than a gripped 5D3 with 24-105 attached.

3 weeks ago, I went on vacation. As I am very constrained on luggage size, my 'usual' 5D3 + 2 lenses went with me and the G15. I didn't realize it until 700 miles away from home, I had packed the 16-35 rather than 24-105, so I figured I'd shoot most of the trip with the G15. Not a problem. 2 days later, I discovered I had packed 2 battery chargers for the 5D3, and not the one for the G15. So, I finished the last half of the trip with the 135 mounted. A lesson in double checking what I pack, that's for sure!

Given your situation, and recognizing your likely baggage limitations, I'd opt for a second T4i/650D to go with the one you already have. No additional lenses are needed, and, no extra battery chargers, either! There's also a zero learning-curve to use it effectively. Back in my film days, I had two identical Canon EF bodies. Worked like a charm.

As for getting a second tripod, if the one you have is able to carry the load, then a simple double-camera mounting bracket is all that's needed! I still have the 'standard thread' bracket and 40 year old tripod that still works for me, although I'd have to remove the Arca-Swiss brackets on my camera and tripod.

Maybe your solution is just to rent one and return it when you come back.
I looked at the price. it would be about $780 to rent a 7D and $620 for a 60D, without any insurance or battery. I'm thinking buying a GoPro would be cheaper.

I still want to enjoy my vacation and not having to think too much about this. I don't know...

As for getting a second tripod, if the one you have is able to carry the load, then a simple double-camera mounting bracket is all that's needed!
Aren't you limited in terms of composition with a double-camera mounting bracket? You can really move as you want because the camera used for the timelapse needs to remain still...

I have a few other DSLR bodies, but the Canon G series powershot point & shoots are advanced and popular among DSLR shooters who want a second camera ... usually for times when you want a camera where a DSLR is either not permitted or simply not practical. These things are really quite solid. My G1 X was being used for afocal astrophotography through a solar telescope by my partner when he fumbled it trying to attach or detach it to the scope. It fell a few feet onto a sidewalk. Visions of shattered camera bits are popping in my head. The actual damage... a small ding in the corner of the body (barely noticeable). The body actually is metal and quite solid.

I also REALLY like the fact that these G series bodies actually have hot-shoes so they are compatible with all the same flashes you'd use on your EOS body.

As for getting a second tripod, if the one you have is able to carry the load, then a simple double-camera mounting bracket is all that's needed!
Aren't you limited in terms of composition with a double-camera mounting bracket? You can really move as you want because the camera used for the timelapse needs to remain still...
I have to ask, then...wouldn't one camera on a tripod for time-lapse shots and one in your hands for everything else work? Since it seems you are going backpacking, using a log, or a rock, or even the hood of a car as a solid base could always work instead of carrying an extra tripod.

In days long past, I've used everything from cars to trash cans to mount my camera on for shots at 10 seconds to 10 minutes and longer. On another internet forum, one of the threads is 'coolest accessories' and one respondent posted a picture of his camera resting on a small bean bag that provides significant camera stability possibilities in just about any situation and the cost is very low. I recently 'found' an highly-compressible, foam travel pillow on Amazon.com that I used on my vacation and that could be used for a camera as well as a pillow at night. Just a couple of ideas here...

Ricoh GR. Pocketable, light, GREAT wide lense, quality little camera

I have to ask, then...wouldn't one camera on a tripod for time-lapse shots and one in your hands for everything else work?
Yes, expect at night.

Since it seems you are going backpacking, using a log, or a rock, or even the hood of a car as a solid base could always work instead of carrying an extra tripod.
Well we'll be in cities most of the time, except for a few days. We won't have the car we us all the time... I was thinking of buying a Gorillapod or a small one like that, not a full-size tripod (because it would be impossible to carry both even if I'm not alone). The advantage would be to be able to fix it a little everywhere, at a railing for example.
But I hadn't thought of your suggestions: just using what's at hand. And the "small bean bag" is a clever idea indeed. You remain a little limited in terms of composition though, don't you think?

Most reactions

Back