30D LCD Image

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
FOrgive me if i'm a little off the mark here, but today took my 30D out for its first drive, doing portraits of my daughter. All looked fine with each shot and the image in the LCD looked great, even zoomed in to check focus and exposure.
Was disappointed when I got home and started to work on them in PS. Seems that as each opened in Adobe RAW the appeared to be underexposed quite a bit, even though during the actual shoot they looked great on the LCD screen.

Am i missing something here. Is there something being loss during hte Adobe RAW preview step.

I'm stumped. Help.
Thanks
Ron

The LCD is showing you what it expects the image to look like after conversion from raw, including some exposure compensation. Use the histogram. Also, something I've just learned, with digital you want to shoot at the top end of the histogram, not blowing out the highlights, but shooting so that the bulk of your data is more to the right than the left of your graph.

A fantastic book just recommended to me is Real World Camera Raw by Bruce Fraser, that explains a lot of this stuff and why.

one thing that i have noticed is that the Adobe Camera Raw like to "auto-expose" all my images and usually in doing so they become underexposed. not always, but since most of my pictures have a lot of "bight/light" objects in them it just averages everything out....

just my .02

If your camera has a brightness adjustment for the LCD, set it so it matches what you see on the monitor so you will be able to tell where your exposure is at a glance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back