30D or Rebel XTi?

Mihai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I knew I want a 30D. Now the Rebel XTi had to come out of nowhere and muddle the waters. It's not urgent, as the XTi will not be here until the middle of September, but maybe you can help me decide: what would you buy for your first SLR if you were me? I'll most likely end up shooting my kids at home and in the park.

http://www.photokina-show.com/0136/canon/digitalslrcamera/canoneosrebelxti/

Money are not a problem in the sense that if I get the XTi, I'll probably spend the $400 difference ($1200 - $800) on some nice glass (maybe the 70-300 IS USM, or the 70-200L USM, most likely the former).

The advantages of the XTi as far as I can tell are:
- slightly more megapixels (10 vs 8 ).
- self-cleaning sensor
- lighter = more likely to take it with me at the park.

The advantages of the 30D are:
- substantial body to hold in your hand
- 5fps vs the 3fps of the XTi
- dial at the back for faster setting

I assume that since the both have the 9-point AF system, AF performace is identical (or similar) (tell me if I'm wrong).

I'm planning to buy only large format glass, and, in 3-5 years upgrade to the new full frame, weather sealed, and incredibly cheap camera that Canon will come up with in the mean time :wink:.

So your advice is to...

Thanks a bunch,
Mihai

Buy a Rebel, spend the money on lenses.

Do NOT compare megapixels, there is a difference in the size and quality of pixels. A higher number does NOT mean it is better.

I would prefer the size and heft of the larger body, but that shouldn't stop you.

I know I previously advised you to get the D30, but that was because it seemed to be what you really wanted. In light of the fact that you appreciate that lenses are more important than bodies, I now advise you to go with the (perfectly fine though a little small and plasticky) Rebel.

I'm really leaning toward lenses. I think that it's a good long-term investment (unless somebody will come with a totaly new unheard of technology like IS and we'll all want to change our lenses - see my other question about IS lenses).

You know why I wanted to 30D? For two reasons mainly: first was the autofocus and the second was the body feel. Now with the auto-focus gone, it's just the body. And about the body I have some mixed feelings: the 30D does feel solid and I love that, but I'm sure I would not love the weight. In fact, even now with a Canon 3G that is only a fraction of the weight of the Rebel I get uncomfortable at the neck after a few hours of hicking with it.

When I mentioned the megapixels I realize that in general 4 megapixels of APS-C are much better than 6 megapixels of a tiny sensor (say G6). However, the claim in the announcement of the XTi is that they increased the size of each pixel in XTi by decreasing the size of their walls (i.e., spacing between the pixels), so that they don't really end up decreasing the size of a pixel in XTi with respect the the 30D (maybe not more than a tad). I guess we'll have to wait in see the noise tests, but I expect the XTi sensor to be slighly sharper and with similar noise.

Thanks for the advice,
Mihai

Remember the "heavy feel" translates to a more durable body that will last longer take more abuse not to mention the speed advantage and additional features.

My understanding is that there is a consensus that the Rebel only feels less durable and that actually nobody managed to crack it. At the very least it's likely to last the next 3-5 years when I will probably want the next
body. I'm reasonably careful with my equipment and before the body will fail, it's likely that things will rattle inside and the lens will be multiple small pieces. What I think that I'm missing more than a metal body is weather proofing and neither cameras offer it (not even the 5D!).

Now regarding the speed advantage, what are you refering to? The only speed I cared about was the AF speed and I understand (from the Photokina article on XTi) that this is identical with the 30D. If you refer to ISO 3200, I think that the noise is too high for me to really use it. This was also the case for the 400 ISO in my G3: it's there but the results suck so I don't use it.

Thanks for the input,
Mihai

I don't know this, you'll have to research this, but one speed difference might be the amount of pics it can take per second. If you're shooting action (do your kids do a lot of sports?) then it might be important to you.

Doesn't the 30D also have the gargantuan display LCD also? That's been a big selling point for others.

I have a Rebel XT. And yes it's small. So I got a battery grip for it.

And it seems to work ok...i've taken a couple 'ok' pics with it. ;)

Indeed, the XTi only have the 3fps while the 30D has 5fps. I'm not sure how much I'll miss this. I think that I'll try to capture the moment with one shot anyway. For now I like to think that I'm missing it because my G3 is soooo slow (0.5 - 1 seconds). I hope I'll not regret the decision one year down the road.

Regarding the screen, the new XTi will have the same screen as 30D (2.5" diagonal).

All the best,
Mihai

well there you go. I already suffer from being hindered with last years model. Hopefully it won't affect my shooting too much. Of course just a year ago I was shooting **gasp** film.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back