30d too much?

Pretty good lens. Not really great for macro, but for the money you save on the 30D over the 400D you can buy a really great dedicated macro lens. Also, the 28-135 isn't that wide, so if you want to shoot architecture or wide landscapes, you might want to add a nice wide lens. Finally, if you want to do a lot of portraits, a faster prime lens (prime means it doesn't zoom) would really be a very valuable addition. Although the 28-135mm obviously covers those focal lengths, it doesn't do it as "fast." Consider a 50mm or better even a 35mm prime lens, which can have apertures that open as wide as f/1.4 . That means you could nicely isolate your subject with sharp focus from a blurry background.

Pretty good lens. Not really great for macro, but for the money you save on the 30D over the 400D you can buy a really great dedicated macro lens. Also, the 28-135 isn't that wide, so if you want to shoot architecture or wide landscapes, you might want to add a nice wide lens. Finally, if you want to do a lot of portraits, a faster prime lens (prime means it doesn't zoom) would really be a very valuable addition. Although the 28-135mm obviously covers those focal lengths, it doesn't do it as "fast." Consider a 50mm or better even a 35mm prime lens, which can have apertures that open as wide as f/1.4 . That means you could nicely isolate your subject with sharp focus from a blurry background.

whoa that's a lot of lens...how much is that gonna cost me?

There's lots of diff. manufacturers out there. That's a whole different story. Just use the 28-135 right now, and start shooting. You'll get a sense of what you want as you start shooting different styles.

Also, there's LOTS of opinions about what lens to get here in this community, most of it right for its own reasons...

Nothing...your parents are paying for it.:lol:

While you are at it can you pick up a 18-200 VR Nikor that I've been saving up for...;)

haha you got me there :lol:
well actually i've been saving and i have 400 dollars so they dont have to spend all that money on me.

but why is there such a big difference between a 400d and 30d (xti 899 and 30d 1,499)??

Oh sorry thats just what the guys told me at wolf when they were trying to get me to buy one. The guy was like i would much rather have a full frame 8 megapixel 30d than the xti or the a100. So sorry about that for the false information
Sales people can be dangerous . It is always best to do your own research, including here.

Keep in mind the XTi is 10.1mpix while the 30D is 8.2. I'm thinking about getting an XTi as a backup for my 20D. Personally I don't use EF-S lenses because they aren't as universal (certain models of dSLR only), so I stick to the standard EF lenses that will work on my EOS Elan 7 (film), 20D and any future bodies I buy.

Mm... don't fall for the megapixel hype. There IS a difference, and sheer pixelcount is not the end-all be-all measurement. Smaller pixels (which they are) means more noise. The sensor on the 30D is very good, better than what the XTi has.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back