What's new

35/50mm Prime with Vibration Control

Vr isnt needed for stills at low focal lengths but its very useful for video.
 
I do not agree that the benefits of VR are "negligible" below 200mm in focal length. No way...VR is useful at much shorter focal lengths than 200mm. Nikon now has VR is a professional-grade 16-35mm f/4 lens. VR is exceptionally useful on SLOW shutter speeds, hand-held. VR is exceptionally useful for panning,and is in my opinion, better than ANY tripod for panning, especially slow-speed panning in the 1/3 to 1/6 second range. VR is also exceptionally useful in gusty,or windy conditions, such as at windsurfing locations where 25,30,35 MPH wind gusts are the norm along with steady sustained winds below the gusts, such as in some of the windsurfing areas along the Pacific Coast. VR is also very useful when one is photographing and is out of breath, or has an accelerated heart rate due to hiking, exertion, or spotting big game at close range (i.e. buck fever, or the surge of adrenaline that results in accelerated heart rate and often muscle tremor when you come into close proximity to a bull elk or even a black bear,etc.). VR counteracts vibration in real time, DURING the actual exposure...it works much differently than a tripod does. VR used properly,in the right situations, can boosts keeper rates TREMENDOUSLY.

According to KmH''s statement above in post #3:"Image stabilization isn't really needed until focal lengths approach 200 mm.

IS/VR (et al) was invented to help amateur shooters that use poor camera handeling/holding technique."

I disagree with the first part of that statement, and I disagree strongly with the second statement. IS/VR is one of the single most-desired features incorporated into $7,000-$13,000 class super-telephoto lenses, to overcome mirror slap and image shake that occurs even when using one, or two, professional-grade tripods, or when shooting during less than ideal conditions. Attend a large windsurfing or sailboarding competition, and see the prevalence of IS and VR super-teles. Professional photojournalists often have to photograph WHILE walking, often backwards...or shoot one-handed...IS and VR is invaluable in the field that Nikon made its name in--photojournalism and action/adventure photography. IS and VR allow the still photographer a steady shooting platform without the need for a tripod. People who can not get that through their heads are really failing to think things through, or are just stirring the pot to piss people off.

The absolute value of an electronically-stabilized camera platform that is resistant to, and corrective of wind, heartbeat, hand tremor, heavy breathing, muscle twitching, walking, bike-riding, motorcycle riding, automobile riding, and aviation-based shooting...the absolute value of a camera that is resistant to and corrective of engine vibration, boat waves, wind chop, tidal swell...come ON....that is one of the single biggest advances in photographic equipment since flash powder was invented!!!!

My point exactly, I am glad you are making these points very strongly. As it seems I am being crucified here for saying the same thing! I also have made shots in Berlin in the dark of night using VR. For example, at 18mm I got a good shot at about 1/4 of a second at the 18mm setting. To get near sharpness in that situation, I would of needed a tripod. That is a very slow shutter speed, I would like to see how good hand holding technique could do the same thing.

VR is fantastic technology! This idea that it is for amateurs who can not hold a camera is simply false. Ofcourse though it is very easy to labour one point.. I used the 300mm example simply to emphasise my point, getting a sharp shot from 300mm 1/80th of a second emphasises just how damn effective VR can be. Kudalini, I also request you respond to Derrel with the RUDENESS you have showered me with? Why are you not questioning Derrel when his views are different to yours? hmmm I wonder why.
 
I do not agree that the benefits of VR are "negligible" below 200mm in focal length. No way...VR is useful at much shorter focal lengths than 200mm. Nikon now has VR is a professional-grade 16-35mm f/4 lens. VR is exceptionally useful on SLOW shutter speeds, hand-held. VR is exceptionally useful for panning,and is in my opinion, better than ANY tripod for panning, especially slow-speed panning in the 1/3 to 1/6 second range. VR is also exceptionally useful in gusty,or windy conditions, such as at windsurfing locations where 25,30,35 MPH wind gusts are the norm along with steady sustained winds below the gusts, such as in some of the windsurfing areas along the Pacific Coast. VR is also very useful when one is photographing and is out of breath, or has an accelerated heart rate due to hiking, exertion, or spotting big game at close range (i.e. buck fever, or the surge of adrenaline that results in accelerated heart rate and often muscle tremor when you come into close proximity to a bull elk or even a black bear,etc.). VR counteracts vibration in real time, DURING the actual exposure...it works much differently than a tripod does. VR used properly,in the right situations, can boosts keeper rates TREMENDOUSLY.

According to KmH''s statement above in post #3:"Image stabilization isn't really needed until focal lengths approach 200 mm.

IS/VR (et al) was invented to help amateur shooters that use poor camera handeling/holding technique."

I disagree with the first part of that statement, and I disagree strongly with the second statement. IS/VR is one of the single most-desired features incorporated into $7,000-$13,000 class super-telephoto lenses, to overcome mirror slap and image shake that occurs even when using one, or two, professional-grade tripods, or when shooting during less than ideal conditions. Attend a large windsurfing or sailboarding competition, and see the prevalence of IS and VR super-teles. Professional photojournalists often have to photograph WHILE walking, often backwards...or shoot one-handed...IS and VR is invaluable in the field that Nikon made its name in--photojournalism and action/adventure photography. IS and VR allow the still photographer a steady shooting platform without the need for a tripod. People who can not get that through their heads are really failing to think things through, or are just stirring the pot to piss people off.

The absolute value of an electronically-stabilized camera platform that is resistant to, and corrective of wind, heartbeat, hand tremor, heavy breathing, muscle twitching, walking, bike-riding, motorcycle riding, automobile riding, and aviation-based shooting...the absolute value of a camera that is resistant to and corrective of engine vibration, boat waves, wind chop, tidal swell...come ON....that is one of the single biggest advances in photographic equipment since flash powder was invented!!!!

My point exactly, I am glad you are making these points very strongly. As it seems I am being crucified here for saying the same thing! I also have made shots in Berlin in the dark of night using VR. For example, at 18mm I got a good shot at about 1/4 of a second at the 18mm setting. To get near sharpness in that situation, I would of needed a tripod. That is a very slow shutter speed, I would like to see how good hand holding technique could do the same thing.

VR is fantastic technology! This idea that it is for amateurs who can not hold a camera is simply false. Ofcourse though it is very easy to labour one point.. I used the 300mm example simply to emphasise my point, getting a sharp shot from 300mm 1/80th of a second emphasises just how damn effective VR can be. Kudalini, I also request you respond to Derrel with the RUDENESS you have showered me with? Why are you not questioning Derrel when his views are different to yours? hmmm I wonder why.

Although I find KmH a bit wrong, if I were you, I wouldn't provoke another argument.
 
I do not agree that the benefits of VR are "negligible" below 200mm in focal length. No way...VR is useful at much shorter focal lengths than 200mm. Nikon now has VR is a professional-grade 16-35mm f/4 lens. VR is exceptionally useful on SLOW shutter speeds, hand-held. VR is exceptionally useful for panning,and is in my opinion, better than ANY tripod for panning, especially slow-speed panning in the 1/3 to 1/6 second range. VR is also exceptionally useful in gusty,or windy conditions, such as at windsurfing locations where 25,30,35 MPH wind gusts are the norm along with steady sustained winds below the gusts, such as in some of the windsurfing areas along the Pacific Coast. VR is also very useful when one is photographing and is out of breath, or has an accelerated heart rate due to hiking, exertion, or spotting big game at close range (i.e. buck fever, or the surge of adrenaline that results in accelerated heart rate and often muscle tremor when you come into close proximity to a bull elk or even a black bear,etc.). VR counteracts vibration in real time, DURING the actual exposure...it works much differently than a tripod does. VR used properly,in the right situations, can boosts keeper rates TREMENDOUSLY.

According to KmH''s statement above in post #3:"Image stabilization isn't really needed until focal lengths approach 200 mm.

IS/VR (et al) was invented to help amateur shooters that use poor camera handeling/holding technique."

I disagree with the first part of that statement, and I disagree strongly with the second statement. IS/VR is one of the single most-desired features incorporated into $7,000-$13,000 class super-telephoto lenses, to overcome mirror slap and image shake that occurs even when using one, or two, professional-grade tripods, or when shooting during less than ideal conditions. Attend a large windsurfing or sailboarding competition, and see the prevalence of IS and VR super-teles. Professional photojournalists often have to photograph WHILE walking, often backwards...or shoot one-handed...IS and VR is invaluable in the field that Nikon made its name in--photojournalism and action/adventure photography. IS and VR allow the still photographer a steady shooting platform without the need for a tripod. People who can not get that through their heads are really failing to think things through, or are just stirring the pot to piss people off.

The absolute value of an electronically-stabilized camera platform that is resistant to, and corrective of wind, heartbeat, hand tremor, heavy breathing, muscle twitching, walking, bike-riding, motorcycle riding, automobile riding, and aviation-based shooting...the absolute value of a camera that is resistant to and corrective of engine vibration, boat waves, wind chop, tidal swell...come ON....that is one of the single biggest advances in photographic equipment since flash powder was invented!!!!

My point exactly, I am glad you are making these points very strongly. As it seems I am being crucified here for saying the same thing! I also have made shots in Berlin in the dark of night using VR. For example, at 18mm I got a good shot at about 1/4 of a second at the 18mm setting. To get near sharpness in that situation, I would of needed a tripod. That is a very slow shutter speed, I would like to see how good hand holding technique could do the same thing.

VR is fantastic technology! This idea that it is for amateurs who can not hold a camera is simply false. Ofcourse though it is very easy to labour one point.. I used the 300mm example simply to emphasise my point, getting a sharp shot from 300mm 1/80th of a second emphasises just how damn effective VR can be. Kudalini, I also request you respond to Derrel with the RUDENESS you have showered me with? Why are you not questioning Derrel when his views are different to yours? hmmm I wonder why.

Although I find KmH a bit wrong, if I were you, I wouldn't provoke another argument.

You may call it provoking an argument, I am simply standing up for myself. If people are rude and insulting to me, I am not the sort of person to sit back and accept that kind of behaviour. Some hugely unjustified and patronising comments have come in my direction, when If you look at my original post. I was simply questioning Keith and making a valid point, I was not being rude to Keith. I respect Keith as a forum member and he has helped me hugely in the past with some of the questions I have had. The spirit of a forum is we put our points forward and question each other, when people come forward with personal insults hinting that I have little to no intelligence. I ain't gonna sit here and say nothing!
 
My point exactly, I am glad you are making these points very strongly. As it seems I am being crucified here for saying the same thing! I also have made shots in Berlin in the dark of night using VR. For example, at 18mm I got a good shot at about 1/4 of a second at the 18mm setting. To get near sharpness in that situation, I would of needed a tripod. That is a very slow shutter speed, I would like to see how good hand holding technique could do the same thing.

VR is fantastic technology! This idea that it is for amateurs who can not hold a camera is simply false. Ofcourse though it is very easy to labour one point.. I used the 300mm example simply to emphasise my point, getting a sharp shot from 300mm 1/80th of a second emphasises just how damn effective VR can be. Kudalini, I also request you respond to Derrel with the RUDENESS you have showered me with? Why are you not questioning Derrel when his views are different to yours? hmmm I wonder why.

Although I find KmH a bit wrong, if I were you, I wouldn't provoke another argument.

You may call it provoking an argument, I am simply standing up for myself. If people are rude and insulting to me, I am not the sort of person to sit back and accept that kind of behaviour. Some hugely unjustified and patronising comments have come in my direction, when If you look at my original post. I was simply questioning Keith and making a valid point, I was not being rude to Keith. I respect Keith as a forum member and he has helped me hugely in the past with some of the questions I have had. The spirit of a forum is we put our points forward and question each other, when people come forward with personal insults hinting that I have little to no intelligence. I ain't gonna sit here and say nothing!

Yes. I know. Looking back at the original post, I see that you and Kundalini is right is some way. Kundalini also needs to comprehend your post. You were simply implying that 'I have got sharp shots handholding from my 70-300VR set at 300 mm and shooting at only 1/80th of a second.'. You weren't saying that KmH is wrong. On the other hand, Kundalini assumes that if did read, you would have known that Kmh said 'Image stabilization isn't really needed until 200mm.'.

For me, I find that there is still a 1-1.5 stop advantage at 24mm, and at 200mm, the advantage will be around 4-6 stops.
 
I guess most of you(except destin, markw and djacobox372) dont understand why I need VR. Maybe I should have posted this question in an indie filmmaking forum. VR in still photography is used to avoid ghosting on slow shutter speeds. But in motion picture, it is used for a good dolly. Imagine shooting a subject with a moving camera. This situation is never encountered in still photography but watch any movie, you will find camera moving. Now thest maera movements need to be very smooth for a professional looking video. How professionals do it is by laying out rails and then mounting a platform on the rails and a tripos on that platform. Semiprofessionals use shock absorbing tripods or mounts(steadycam). I was thinking maybe VR can be a replacement for it. I made a low cost trolley from a suitcase with wheels and used my kit lens with vr to get good enough results atleast on hard floor.
We need to know what kind of videos you're going to shoot, and what your budget is to really offer a lens.
I make videos for money and fun. Now a days mostly money. Usually internet virals and corporate videos.They will be mostly corporate videos for my clients on a budget. On a budget means I will not hire professional grade equipment. But still it is my duty to make the look as professional as possible with the available means. The videos will be mostly indoors with a portable lighting kit, and some outdoor videos involving pans but not off the tripod (indoor videos can be off the tripod also). Budget is 400USD.
If you want usable video out of a DSLR, it CANNOT be hand held. You need some sort of stabilization device (tripod, monopod, steadycam, shoulder mount, etc.). If you're going to try handholding video with a DSLR, you'll be better off using an iphone 4s, simply because of it's much larger DOF and better autofocus.
Accepted.

Or edited with After Effects' warp stabilizer.
I already use that but lose some pixels for that. In fact I have to crop the whole footage(steady part too) to maintain the same look throughout. This causes problems sometimes with headrooms etc.

As to 35 and 50mm primes with VR: not today. Nikons' 16-35mm f/4 AFS-G has VR though Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR

I am on DX format and I already have a kit lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom