• Total voters

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
has anyone had any luck with 35mm film scanner? I am looking at a Pacific Image Electronics pf3600pro scanner but I never used one before I have a flat bed scanner but don't like the images from it and was thinking that the film scanner would do a better job.

You can go digital and still scan film. Unlike most people I think film and digital compliment each other more than compete with each other.

Having said that, a film scanner is the way to go. Something that can scan at 4000 dpi is going to give you a better image than something that scans at less than half that value every time.

Think of it like making Zeerox copies. If you want the best quality copy you scan (copy) the original, not a copy of the original. When you scan film, you're scanning the original. When you scan a print you're scanning a copy of the original.

Just my thoughts...

Jim

I've had some great results from scanning prints with a flatbed scanner but mainly because the original film wasn't to be found anyway.
As Photobug says: a copy from the original is going to be more accurate than a copy of a copy.

...i have no experience with the "pf3600pro scanner" having used the Canon and, more recently, Nikon film scanners

Whatever you choose, the following article might be of some assistance

Although it deals specifically with the Nikon Coolscan, the controls and techniques are virtually the same for all scanners of this type, and should be transferable to any scanner

TITLE: "Adjusting Your Nikon Scanner Software for Optimum Results"
AUTHOR: Michael Goldstein

Part One: http://www.apogeephoto.com/feb2003/mgoldstein1.shtml

Part Two: http://www.apogeephoto.com/feb2003/mgoldstein2.shtml

For your reference...

:)

e_

Most reactions

New Topics

Back