35mm Lenses/Which to keep for Digital?

PMPHOTO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I could really use some advice. Im switching over to Digital. Im thinking about a D90. My uses would be mostly pleasure.Occasional wedding, Landscape,family shots.I know nothing about digital,so I don't know which of my lenses I should keep.I know they will work,but
how well? I see new lenses listed as DX VR I don't know what this means. If I keep my 35mm lenses,will they be as good as the VR DX newer lenses? If not, which 2 newer lenses should I look into?
Budget? Hmmm Maybe $500 could go higher but would rather not at this point.Although I guess I could sell some I my lenses and go higher if I had to. I hope some of you will please take the time and help me out. Im really stressed over this. PLEASE HELP ME
This is what I have: AF ED 28-200 3.5-5.6 G IF
AF 70-300 4-5.6 G
AF 50mm 1.4 D
AF 24-120 3.5-5.6 D
AF 24-85 2.8-4 D
AF 28-105 3.5-4.5 D IF
THANK YOU SO MUCH,
FRED

You may want to add something a little wider for the APS-C 1.5 FOV crop sensor on the D90 compared to your film camera. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is one example.

Keep all of your old lenses. They should be ok. Although you say none of your current lenses are VR? Not one of them? Well VR (Vibration reduction) is a very good thing to have, especially in lenses with a greater focal length.

I personally wouldn't even try to use a telephoto lens that wasn't stabilized in some way (VR, tripod, or anything)

I personally wouldn't even try to use a telephoto lens that wasn't stabilized in some way (VR, tripod, or anything)

that is a pretty dubious comment. Telephoto photography wasn't invented 10 years ago with the birth of VR it's been around for ages :p

Common surely the sun shines at some point where you live. I've used a 300mm f/4 with a 1.4x tele plenty of times with no support at all.

Most reactions

Back