You might realize that her raising her prices to match yours could be a Godsend.

Now if everybody in your town had the same pricing structure, the customers would be selecting their photographer based on a comparison of each person's portfolio.

This is basically the first step in the commoditization of the craft.

If one sets their prices based solely on what 'the other guys' are charging, then eventually everyone will have the same prices. We see this in the grocery, gasoline, building material and similar industries.

With no difference in price between you and everyone else, then you become a commodity. And you are viewed as interchangeable parts in the machine that is the trade. You're no better, no worse, no different than all the other cogs, wheels and gears.

Your only hope is that those who use your prices to set theirs will not comprehend the true expenses of being in business, thusly fail at it and move on. However, for every fauxtographer that fails (despite having a $600 camera and a Facespace page), there's 20 more that merrily take their place.

This is what we get when we make a low price more important than quality and service.

Being lied to like that is a very uncomfortable feeling, at least it is for me.
You might as well get used to the notion that some people lie. Right to your face. Time and time again. With no compunctions whatsoever. And they don't care if you know it.

Being lied to like that is a very uncomfortable feeling, at least it is for me.
You might as well get used to the notion that some people lie. Right to your face. Time and time again. With no compunctions whatsoever. And they don't care if you know it.
Yes.

We call them "politicians".

Good news for the op though. I had a heart to heart with Milton... you know, the possum?

As it turns out he wasn't looking forward to the road trip at all. He gets horrible motion sickness and was dreading it from the get go. What are the odds, right?

So we used the whip cream for Irish coffee instead. All is well.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

The OP must not have any business because she's posting on a forum? She should be working instead? She should be helping her competition? It's time the OP learn that people lie? Oh puh-LEEEZ. How patronizing! That last bit especially. Knowing that a behavior exists and being upset about it are NOT mutually exclusive. It's a false either-or fallacy.

Get off the friggin' horses, people; they're not as high as you think they are.

The OP must not have any business because she's posting on a forum? She should be working instead? She should be helping her competition? It's time the OP learn that people lie? Oh puh-LEEEZ. How patronizing! That last bit especially. Knowing that a behavior exists and being upset about it are NOT mutually exclusive. It's a false either-or fallacy.

Ok, so hypothetically speaking, how much trouble would I be in for bringing up the fact that this actually represents a great deal of progress for us since the op is a girl and yet no one brought up cooties.

Again, hypothetically speaking...

:)

Ok, so hypothetically speaking, how much trouble would I be in for bringing up the fact that this actually represents a great deal of progress for us since the op is a girl and yet no one brought up cooties.

Again, hypothetically speaking...

:)

You might get in trouble for calling her a "girl" when I'm quite certain "woman" would be more accurate ;)

A bit of zen...

So how could you change anything? You can't, you have to treat every customer at face value. If it happened again then you'd still have to behave in the same way.

Does it harm your business in any way? No, you've already stated that it doesn't.

So the feelings of embarrassment, anger, foolishness, are only affecting the wellbeing of yourself about something that neither affects you or that you can do anything about to prevent in the future.

What I'm saying is that if nothing has changed then your thoughts and feelings are only affecting you and making you unhappy. So the only real choice you have is to either make yourself unhappy over it or forget it and smile.

What happened to you isn't a personal attack against you in any way, so don't take it that way. What they did was not just good business practice, it is a requirement of them getting a serious SBA loan for startup capital to begin the business. At least it used to be when I started my first business. They required you to know what the market for your product or service in your area is currently, and what your expected share of that business would be. The best way to get that information is to watch parking lots of those businesses and count cars going in for a week or so.
Anything that can be seen from public property is fair game.
It's part of the research that anyone giving a business a loan or investing in a business will want up front.

You might get in trouble for calling her a "girl" when I'm quite certain "woman" would be more accurate ;)

Which is why I used the word hypothetically, because chicks get bent out of shape over the craziest stuff.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Lol

Which is why I used the word hypothetically, because chicks get bent out of shape over the craziest stuff.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Lol

Ya big ape! :345:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back