What's new

3rd day with my DSLR.. A whole slew of HDR's

itBurns

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Messages
47
Reaction score
3
Location
Capital Region, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'll come right out and say I am a huge fan of HDR photos. Up until ~3 days ago, I've never used any other camera besides a P&S, but I picked up a Nikon D3100 because I wanted to start taking better photography.

At first I thought I liked extremely surreal looking HDR photos, but since, I think I've toned it down a bit. I think I'm improving every shot I do, so I figured I'd let you guys tell me what you think.

These photos were taken between 9/19 and 9/20, and in order from the first processing, to the last.

HDR1small.jpg


HDR2small.jpg


HDR3small.jpg


HDR4small.jpg


HDR5small.jpg


HDR6small.jpg


HDR7small.jpg


HDR8small.jpg


HDR9small.jpg


HDR10.jpg


HDR11.jpg


HDR12.jpg


HDR13.jpg


HDR14.jpg


HDR15.jpg


HDR16.jpg


HDR17.jpg


HDR18.jpg


HDR19.jpg


HDR21.jpg


HDR22.jpg
 
I'm glad you have toned it down. I really like #3... that's a very good processing job imo. Some of the others have distracting halos that you have to watch out for (unless, for some reason, you like them).
 
Thanks Bazooka :)

How do you fix halos in Photomatix? I definitely see the halo in the Mansion picture .. I should try and redo that HDR. Besides the mansion though, I think I did pretty well reducing any haloing in the others, yes?
 
Okay so I fixed the haloing on the Mansion. This version looks more "natural" in my opinion, though, I think the original version shows the mansion better. Opinions?

Version 2:
HDR4v2small.jpg

and, so you don't need to scroll all the way back up, here again is Version 1:
HDR4small.jpg
 
The following are the halos I see...

#1 slight haloing around the trees
#3 again, slight haloing
#4 (mansion) strong haloing against sky
#13 strong patchy haloing amongst the trees
#17 around the viewing scope
#22 inside the memorial stone (bright spot is actually a 'halo')

I'm not experienced enough with photomatix to instruct on how to reduce haloing. I know there are so many sliders you can play with and it's not clear to me what each of them actually does. You just have to play with it. The most important thing is to learn to see the halo's so you know they need to be fixed.

As for the mansion, you are correct that the original mansion version shows more detail. The mansion itself doesn't look too bad but the halo in the sky, the halo around the trunks of the trees to the left and the horizontal halo along the green grass 'horizon' on the right side scream "overcooked hdr". When compared to the 2nd version, it looks way overcooked, but by itself, it's not terrible. I think you could find a happy medium between the two.

In all honesty, if you shoot in RAW, you could probably do a fine job with cs5 by selectively brushing in a higher exposure on the mansion in a single shot. If in jpeg, you can use the dodge tool for a similar effect.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom